Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do suit cloths stay in production?

I ask because yesterday, feeling poorer after mailing my tax returns, I stopped by my local thrift store. After poking around for about fifteen minutes and seeing nothing but junk, I was about to leave when a jacket caught my eye because it had some of the ugliest buttons I have ever seen. The buttons were light grey, two holes, and looked like the rubber buttons rugby shirts sport. But the buttonholes actually worked which prompted me to take the jacket off the rack.

Turns out the jacket was a bespoke Huntsman, made in 1982 in a Prince of Wales check with a three button front and single vent. The jacket is perhaps half an inch longer than I would normally wear, but for six bucks I figured I might as well buy it.

This leads me to the question I asked above--what are the odds that the matching fabric is still in production, given that the Prince of Wales check is one of the classic suit fabrics and since the jacket is from Huntsman, likely from one of the traditional English manufacturers?

I know the odds that the modern fabric would exactly match the jacket fabric are unlikely given variations among fabric lots, so the next question is could/would one wear a jacket such as this with light grey wool trousers?

I suppose I'm like the woman up the street, except that I keep taking in stray bespoke jackets rather than stray cats.

Regards,

Charles

https://bostonhistory.typepad.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.