Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this would go under the category of "waist suppression," as I've only heard the term applied to suits. Nevertheless, I was wondering if you can have pants/slacks taken in.

Specifically, I have a few pairs of Bill's Khakis that I got a year or so ago as a present, and though they are the most comfortable and my favorite of all the slacks I own, they are size 34 and I wear 30 or 32. Can I have these pants taken in so that I can wear them more comfortably? Whenever I wear them now I have to get a tight belt and the end result is somewhat sloppy. Love the pants though, so I'd be willing to invest a little money to have them fixed right.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Waist suppression is usually referred to suit coats/blazers being taken in at the sides and waist. If I am reading your post correctly, you are talking about simply taking in the waist of your pants. Of course, this can be done. Taking a 34 to a 32 is pretty easy. I'm not a tailor, but taking a 34 to a 30 might be more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
What you want to have done is to have your pants taken in. This is a standard alteration, but whether it can be done to your Bill's depends on a couple of things. I'm not familiar enough with the brand to know if they are made with a split waistband. That is a seam that continues from the seat of the pants through the top of the waistband. If yes, no problem. Otherwise, I don't know if it could be done, as I'd think you would have to take off the waistband, cut a new one, and put the new one on. There may be other methods a tailor knows, but I don't.

The second issue is how much you want to have it taken in. Two inches should work fine, four inches, particularly on pants that aren't that big, probably would not work well. My experience has been that two inches plus or minus are about the maximum you want to alter the waist of trousers. More than that, and they start looking funny. (Not funny!)

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
Reducing the waist is a standard alteration. I assume you also need the seat reduced. The problem with taking them in 3 or 4 inches is the rear hip pockets will end up very close to each other. If you have been wearing them as they are, you will certainly be able to wear them more satisfactorily with a 2 inch waist reduction. That will not bring the rear pockets into play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.