Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own (and have seen) a number of vintage ties that are navy blue with diagonal running small gold logos/animals and a Latin motto in small (also diagonal) letters in deep red.

Anyone know how this particular formation became so popular? Is there a historical reason for it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
It would be most helpful if you could describe the animals and or insignia and reproduce the Latin. As it is, it sounds like a club tie of some sort, but it is difficult (for me, at least) to say anything with any degree of precision.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be most helpful if you could describe the animals and or insignia and reproduce the Latin. As it is, it sounds like a club tie of some sort, but it is difficult (for me, at least) to say anything with any degree of precision.
Here's a picture of the ties. One, which I got from my grandfather, has the Latin neologism "Non illegitmi carborundum" and features what are either stylized lions or griffins. The other is a club tie that I recently thrifted featuring triceratops and several statements about dinosaurs (it was for some sort of Young Dinos Club...beats the heck out of me).

I was must curious about what the style meant, as these ties are from vastly different times/places. Is this a standard "club" style that was copied from a famous original, something related to military regiments, etc?

It's not a big deal, I was just looking at the ties today, got curious, and I thought that if anyone would know, it would be someone on here.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I guess it falls to a Classicist to play the pedant here. The phrase about the bastards is in fact "bastard Latin" and doesn't translate as anything. The translation given above is what it was intended to mean, which is, I guess, what really matters.

For what it's worth, the other tie says, "I am a young dinosaur."

Cool ties, nevertheless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.