Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a grad student just starting to build my professional wardrobe and recently took some suits to a tailor that was recommended by numerous people on this site. Since this is my first time having a suit tailored, I was wondering how long should it take someone to check you out in your suit and make the necessary notes on what to do? I only ask because it seemed like the tailor (who was filling in for the regular guy who was on vacation) did it pretty quick. I'm not sure if it's because he's really good, it's a simple job, or that he just wasn't that concerned about it. I've read that this shop is very picky but I wasn't really asked a single question, told what was going to be done or anything else that would give me the impression that they were being picky with fitting it to me. Also, if I go back and pick up the suit and am not satisfied, is it reasonable to ask that additional change be made? Also, just so I know for future reference, what is a reasonable price for having a suit tailored? Thanks for the help.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
It takes me much longer to put the suit, pants, shirt, whatever, on than it does my tailor to mark the things for alteration. It amazes me at times how quickly he can do this.

I try the garment on when I pick it up and if I'm not completely satisfied with some aspect of the alterations he marks it again and makes the adjustments for no additional charge, unless of course he did something that I specifically asked him to do and now I don't like it for some reason. In that case I pay him for the additional alterations.

As for price, my guy has a specific price for each individual alteration; therefore, the total price depends on the number of alterations needed. Alterations to the jacket such as shortening sleeves seem to be more expensive than alterations to the pants so there can be a big variance from one person to the next or one suit to the next. I don't know if there is a typical price.

Cruiser

·
Registered
144 Posts
My experience is similar to that above. My tailor has been at his craft for around 40 years, gives a suit and overall look, makes his marks and within a week it is completed and fits perfectly. A true expert at his profession!

Andy M.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
How much does it cost to have a suit tailored is way to vague of a question. It is rather like asking how much it costs to have dinner out or how much do red cars cost.

Someone here could probably tell you what they pay for a certain tailoring operation if you could be more specific. Next time you take something to a tailor, you might want to discuss with them what they plan to do. Good luck.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
I like Jim in Sunny So Calif's illustrations of vague. In addition to what alterations are being done the price is also affected by who is doing the alterations. Very simple alterations- sleeve lengths and trouser lengths- can often be done by a dry cleaner. When someone calls and asks what we charge to shorten sleeves I read them their "clothing Miranda rights" explaining that a custom tailor will charge them more to do that alteration than a dry cleaner will. More complicated alteration costs cannot be quoted with out seeing the garment on the individual- for example reducing the body girth of a jacket might require reducing three seams, reducing two seams, going into the armhole or not going into the armhole. ( The extra charge for the sleeves/trouser length may be worth it because we can do it same day!) It does not take a skilled tailor long to mark a garment for alteration. If you want additional correction to an alteration a good tailor will gladly do that for you.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.