Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all - - It turns out that I might not know as much about polishing shoes as I had initially thought. I've just graduated to using creme polish, with which many of you seem to be experienced.

Now, I had been using a polish that included silicone, often Kiwi Parade Wax or the Johnston and Murphy canned polish. In a few cases, I also applied Dr. Martens Shoe Balsam to a couple of pairs, thinking it would be good for the leather at the time. This contains beeswax, among other pore-clogging additives. I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not, as some of what I've been reading leads me to believe that such polishes can cause the leather to crack, and that it should be thinned with turpentine.

If I were to thin the polish myself, should I thin the turpentine with water, or just apply it straight? Or is this something best left to a professional?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cleaner

If you're ambitious, you might consider mild cleaners designed for leathers.

Lexol pH cleaner

Allen-Edmonds combination conditioner cleaner

Another option would be not to worry about it and just use creams in the future. I would avoid turpentine because you could ruin the shoes if you're not careful.

MinnMD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.