Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I found discuont store in Paris, where they have Hermes (new suits, jackets...)The prices: jacket 600-800 euros (100 proc. cashmere), suit 1200 euros. Is it still overpriced?
I am sure someone on here will say yes (everything is over-priced for some on here); however, they are not. You can do a lot worse for that money. The Hermes, I have seen retail more then that, it is probably the same suits you are seeing but obviously with the discount price.

Although, from a British point-of-view, they are over-priced because of the weakness of the pound. €1.2k used to be about £800, but it is £1090 now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Can't be too bad a buy if Hermes suits are ( as has been reported IIRC ) by Belvest. That said, a manufacturer can be commissioned to produce a garment to any quality the client likes, so this in itself is not automatically an indicator of value.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If they are genuine, it is great deal. Jump on it. I was always under the impression Hermes was like LV. They only sell at their own stores (and stores within stores) and they don't discount (except an odd tie that finds its way to a NM outlet).

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Hermes ties are scarves are sold in Neiman Marcus alongside the rest of their merchandise. I've not seen an Hermes boutique at an NM.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Hermes ties are scarves are sold in Neiman Marcus alongside the rest of their merchandise. I've not seen an Hermes boutique at an NM.
At many Neiman-Marcuses, there is a distinct area for Hermes, but I'd hesitate to call it a boutique. If it were a leased department, I would definitely use the latter term.

At Bergdorf Goodman, the Hermes section is definitely not run by Hermes. They have a small room devoted to ties, and around the corner is another wall of Hermes ties from prior seasons, that they aren't allowed to send back or to discount.

Maybe when I'm there next week they'll have loosened that policy... :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not tryingg to change this post to the topic of ties but I don't see the big deal with Hermes ties. I just got my first one and while it is nice I have several Brioni that put the Hermes ties to shame on all fronts. I even have several made in china ties that aren't far behind the Hermes in terms of silk quality.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Not tryingg to change this post to the topic of ties but I don't see the big deal with Hermes ties. I just got my first one and while it is nice I have several Brioni that put the Hermes ties to shame on all fronts. I even have several made in china ties that aren't far behind the Hermes in terms of silk quality.

Thoughts?
I find them to be more durable than their thin material would suggest. I only pick ones with interesting patterns.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Thoughts?
Yes. Buying an Hermes for the quality of its silk is like buying a Cartier for its complications; you're focusing on the wrong thing. You buy a Charvet 7-fold or an AP if you're looking for the best construction; you buy an Hermes or a Cartier because of the artistry (as opposed to "artisanry") they impart on the product. Hermes is known for its whimsical and eye-catching designs, and frankly, for it's cache, not for its assemblage.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes. Buying an Hermes for the quality of its silk is like buying a Cartier for its complications; you're focusing on the wrong thing. You buy a Charvet 7-fold or an AP if you're looking for the best construction; you buy an Hermes or a Cartier because of the artistry (as opposed to "artisanry") they impart on the product. Hermes is known for its whimsical and eye-catching designs, and frankly, for it's cache, not for its assemblage.
Good point.
Thanks for the refocus.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.