Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, fellows I need your help. I practically always wear a sports coat or blazer and sometimes I wear a suit when the occasion calls for it which is rarely. I need a winter coat that will cover the sports coat/blazer and still look good over a suit as well. I was thinking my only option was an overcoat/topcoat, however, I wasn't sure if a overcoat/topcoat was too elaborate or formal for business casual attire (my blazer/sports coat classifies as 'business casual'). So is wearing a wool/cashmere topcoat/overcoat with business casual clothing a fashion mistake ? Are there other options besides an overcoat/topcoat ?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It depends on a couple of things, including your taste, how cold it usually is there, how much time you're likely to spend outside in your work clothes and coat.

There may be people who think they're too casual to wear with a suit, something shorter, like a pea coat or a car coat, might be a good choice.

I also wouldn't have a problem with a car coat or an overcoat with what you say you wear to work. On the other hand, if you're driving to work you're likely to be sitting on the coat, so you might consider how comfortable that is. Also, I wouldn't consider your area particularly cold. I know that when my son moved from Vermont to Albany to go to school he couldn't get over how warm the winters were, and you're considerably south of Albany.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
You might also consider a good trench coat. Can be worn with everything from jeans (Yuck!) to eveningwear! (Not really.)

But I'll wear mine with anything from a dressy suit to good wool slacks and a cashmere turtleneck. A detachable liner gives three-season versatility, and the water-repellent finish helps deal with NYC's lovely winter weather.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You might also consider a good trench coat. Can be worn with everything from jeans (Yuck!) to evening wear! (Not really.)

But I'll wear mine with a dressy suit or good wool slacks and a cashmere turtleneck. A detachable liner gives three season versatility, and the water repellent finish helps deals with NYC's lovely winter weather.
Yes, a trenchcoat is good advice I think. I saw a trenchcoat that was three season via zip out linings. I think that would be very practical. Although, khaki trenchcoats do look rather like stereotypical 'rainwear' to me for some reason. So I might want to look into a grey or black color.

_

·
Registered
493 Posts
How about a 3/4 length coat that comes to just above the knee? It will cover the blazer/suit jacket but is less formal than a full length topcoat that may go well below the knee, so it can easily be worn with more informal clothing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about a 3/4 length coat that comes to just above the knee? It will cover the blazer/suit jacket but is less formal than a full length topcoat that may go well below the knee, so it can easily be worn with more informal clothing.
That's very good advice as well. Thank you. So now I have to choose between 3/4th length wool coat or a trenchcoat. I'm sure I'm capable of making a proper decision now. Although, if people want to continue to offer suggestions feel free to do so.

·
Registered
550 Posts
On the other hand, there's no reason I can think of why a standard overcoat (e.g., a three-button charcoal wool/cashmere coat or a proper polo coat) wouldn't be equally appropriate. You would also have the versatility of a coat that can then be worn with a tuxedo if you so chose.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That's very good advice as well. Thank you. So now I have to choose between 3/4th length wool coat or a trenchcoat. I'm sure I'm capable of making a proper decision now. Although, if people want to continue to offer suggestions feel free to do so.
Eventually, as one's budget allows, this should not be an either/or proposition. Both a 3/4 length coat and a full length coat have their rightful places in a gentleman's wardrobe. The 3/4 length coat is the compromise, straddling the divide between the formal and casual worlds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you think a traditional overcoat may be too formal, you may consider a 3/4 length coat (generally cut just above the knee). I have something similar, cut like an overcoat, only shorter and in a slightly more casual texture (brown herringbone).

·
Registered
190 Posts
My suggestion

Since you're in NYC, just down the road in Princeton in Landau's of Princeton, the largest seller of loden coats in America. Here's a link to their loden coat page:
https://www.landauprinceton.com/our-products/loden-coats-mens.php

Henry, one of the owners, is the go-to man. If you can swing it, a Schneider's of Salzburg cashmere loden is absolutely wonderful. One of the Schneider's I've got is the Eduardo model, black, with a zip-out wool lining. Schneider's also makes models without the lining, such as the Rolf which comes in a brownish loden color.

They're great coats with great styling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.