Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was told by a person who makes her living as a wedding planner--which I guess gives her some street cred--that one should not wear a watch with a tuxedo? I never heard this, and I have been wearing a watch with a textured patent band, white face, and gold rim for years with my tuxedo. Have I been uncouth? It seems to me that a watch is appropriate as long as it's an appropriate watch. What are other people's beliefs/opinions/traditions on this subject?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tuxedo is semi-formal

This topic seems to come from confusion about the tuxedo (or dinner jacket). It is worn as black tie, which is actually semi-formal. White tie is the proper formal dress for male civilians. Apart from the James Bond precedent (which will make it right to wear a watch with a tux for most men!), one should remember that as semi-formal dress, there aren't as many hard and strict rules and so a watch can be worn if wished.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The rule is that one should not wear a watch with evening wear, such as a dinner jacket or white tie. The rationale is that one is relaxing, so time has no meaning.

I follow the rule because it seems to heighten the enjoyment of the evening to be oblivious to the pressures of time. Nonetheless, I can't imagine that outside of AAAC anyone would care about such a point.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We really need a separate forum for these topics...

And what happened to the new feature that adds similar threads to the page (when you ned it the most)?

By the way, for me, no watch with evening wear. I try not to wear one in any social occasion, for the reasons described above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.