Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this chart online and it showed what size fabric is needed to create jackets, pants and full suits. Although units are not shown I assume they are square metres.

Would these be reasonable measurements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Sorry, but even with my strongest reading glasses, that chart is a trial.

From what I can gather, it looks as if the sizes are in metrics, and I confess to not being very proficient with metric sizes. But oddly, it looks as if the cloth amounts recommended might be yards.

My recollection is that a 2-piece suit usually requires about 3 1/2 yards, give or take, depending upon the size and the tailor's cutting preferences.

Best practice is to ask the tailor what he needs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
So I did a little googling and found the original source of this image. Put a larger version of this image down in the spoiler section.

That said, since this company is based at Europe (Bulgaria), and the sizes are in EU, I would guess the unit indicated here would be meters. 1 meter = 100 cm = 1.0936 yard. So for 3.5 meter it will be 3.8276 yard, give or take.

The fabric is typically priced based on per yard or per meter, with a given widths (150 cm or 60"). If you actually go to a fabric store and to buy fabric, the staff will ask you how long you want to buy, for the given width of that roll. You cannot simply just want to cut a small piece to buy.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
So I did a little googling and found the original source of this image. Put a larger version of this image down in the spoiler section.

That said, since this company is based at Europe (Bulgaria), and the sizes are in EU, I would guess the unit indicated here would be meters. 1 meter = 100 cm = 1.0936 yard. So for 3.5 meter it will be 3.8276 yard, give or take.

The fabric is typically priced based on per yard or per meter, with a given widths (150 cm or 60"). If you actually go to a fabric store and to buy fabric, the staff will ask you how long you want to buy, for the given width of that roll. You cannot simply just want to cut a small piece to buy.
And since a yard and meter are not grossly different in length, the amount I though might be yards are, of course, meters. :idea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.