Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in response to Horace's question on the American Trad thread.

I still don't understand why everyone yelps about being Brooks or whatever source no longer using American manufacturers alone, if we're not talking about protecting the American worker. I just don't understand what this has to do with quality. The only reason I can think of where this might be a factor if somebody needs to use a water source that is extremely pure and this water is a factor in production.

To me, machines are machines. It doesn't matter where its located. If we're talking about the same shirt that is going to retail for the same price, it would make more sense that the better shirt might be made overseas. Let's say that labor costs is a certain percentage of the price, 50% for example. And, then other things such as fabric account for the rest of the costs. With higher labor costs in America, the shirt maker might cut corners on other costs such as fabric to keep the retail price from increasing. And, assuming that machines are the same, I'd think that the better shirt would be the one from overseas since the fabric is better and the quality is the same.

I really can't think that the workers in the garment industry here are any better trained than those overseas. After all, most of them here are immigrants from the countries that we've outsourced all these shirts to in the first place.

After all, Wal-Mart used to have attire Made in America. And, I don't think we'd recongnize any diff. I think the quality is more determined by the company, then the country of origin. I'm surprised that people don't like their Brooks Brothers items made in Italy. I thought that Italy had a premier reputation. If we're concerned with this due to historical reasons, are you also concerned that not every silk piece or china is made in China, where they were invented.

The only way we can keep Made in America items are to buy them at full retail price, and not only when they go on sale.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.