Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this line since the Brandelli take-over. In Tommy Mahon's blog he mentions its of good quality but a maker or actual construction details I have not been able to find. Any knowledge of canvas level, hand stitching, or make location would be appreciated thank you.

-Thome Loire

·
Registered
50 Posts
The quality is amazing. For the price it is probably the best value ready to wear savile row suit. The jackets are completely hand cut and hand made. The suit, jackets, and products are completely handmade as though they were manufactured for you. They are made in the same workshops where the entry level bespoke is made. They are manufactured to the same level of expertise and quality. I recomend their items if you are looking for hand made english suitings and jackets for the best possible price.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah it's definitely good stuff as nonser says. It's fully canvassed and a nice cut.
Brandelli is a tosser though. Not that that's strictly relevant.
The only thing you could compare it to would be a Chester Barrie off the peg but I think the Kilgour one is a more dramatic cut.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Unfortunately one can no longer compare anything to Chester Barrie, as that is out of the equation, due to their closing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
quote:Originally posted by udeshi

Unfortunately one can no longer compare anything to Chester Barrie, as that is out of the equation, due to their closing.
Udeshi, are you speaking about Cheshire Clothing factory or about Chester Barrie shop on Savile Row? Is it also closed?

Andrey

·
Registered
519 Posts
andreyb:

Chesire Clothing which used to make the Chester Barrie. Don't know who will now make the Chester Barrie clothing but have a few ideas. The Chester Barrie shop is still open to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, I do mind sharing names and I think CB would as well.

There is not an opinion, but the fact that Cheshire clothig was the last remaining quality maker of tailored clothing in England, and for that matter the United Kingdom.

If I am wrong, the company is more than welcome to get in touch with me.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The CB shop on Savile Row is not closed. It's moved across the road to the other side.
Last I heard Cheshire Clothing were still going and making the suits for CB....?
But Cheshire Clothing are not the only quality suit manufacturers in the UK, not at all.

·
Registered
519 Posts
So Bonhamesque, prey tell who these other people are. Remember CC made for a lot of companies, they made for Hackett, Austin Reed, Spencer Hart, Hield, Huntsman ....

We are taliking about full canvas with hand set sleeves, sometimes hand made buttonholes.
You have been challenged.

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bonhamesque

Last I heard Cheshire Clothing were still going and making the suits for CB....?
No, the Cheshire Clothing Company closed its doors March 1, ending a very difficult financial period and putting its last 120 employees out of work. While the administrators who had been called in to try to bail the company out last month had been optimistic about finding a buyer for the firm, they were not successful. Press reports indicate that when Cheshire shut down, more than 400 suits were left unfinished, including one for Prince Charles.

You will recall that there has been a great deal of financial uncertainty around this company for quite some time. The latest Cheshire Clothing Company evolved when the Crewe-based Chester Barrie failed three years ago. While a purchaser was found for the name, the same was not true for the company itself. A subsequent management buy-out created the newly formed CCC in 2003. It seemed to be doing rather well, but looks -- in tailoring as in all else -- can be deceiving. It was forced into administration in early February. An Italian clothing company appeared to be a likely buyer, but those talks fell through. Consequently, the firm closed and is now seeking to sell the assets of the business in order to pay off creditors.

·
Registered
361 Posts
quote:Thome Loire Posted - 06/21/2005 : 06:14:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any experience with this line since the Brandelli take-over. In Tommy Mahon's blog he mentions its of good quality but a maker or actual construction details I have not been able to find. Any knowledge of canvas level, hand stitching, or make location would be appreciated thank you.
Just wondered if there were any further views on Kilgour quality; for instance does anyone know how Kilgour rtw compares with say Brioni or Zegna rtw in price and quality?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a couple of Kilgour RTW suits – I’ve always bought during the sale periods. Suits were £495 and £595 (normally £750 - £950).

IMO they are excellent! The construction details and materials are far far better than most TRW out there and they have all the hallmarks of bespoke.

Beware any Kilgour within the Liberty and Harvey Nicks concessions as I believe the construction details are slightly different (a different order perhaps?) and look to me to be inferior to the ones on the Row.

Bobbyball

·
Registered
361 Posts
quote:bobbyball 106 Posts Posted - 03/13/2006 : 07:38:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a couple of Kilgour RTW suits â€" I’ve always bought during the sale periods. Suits were £495 and £595 (normally £750 - £950).
Can you recall the SALE dates at the Savile Row shop?

·
Registered
869 Posts
quote:Originally posted by udeshi

So Bonhamesque, prey tell who these other people are. Remember CC made for a lot of companies, they made for Hackett, Austin Reed, Spencer Hart, Hield, Huntsman ....

We are taliking about full canvas with hand set sleeves, sometimes hand made buttonholes.
You have been challenged.
Thank you for the challenge Udeshi.
I am aware of who CC made suits for (What the hell is Spencer Hart gonna do now?)
But unfortunately I cannot reveal my sources probably for the same reasons that you cannot reveal yours.

"Yes, I do mind sharing names and I think CB would as well."

·
Registered
869 Posts
"Just wondered if there were any further views on Kilgour quality; for instance does anyone know how Kilgour rtw compares with say Brioni or Zegna rtw in price and quality?"

In my opinion it's better than both. The cut is far more elegant and the quality is finer.

"Can you recall the SALE dates at the Savile Row shop?"

I think they're on sale at the usual retail times i.e. January and Summer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.