Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No nitpicks about pattern matching please!

I recall some old posts by Mafoofan on Anna M shirts and shirring in the sleeve (at the armholes and cuff). What is the purpose of shirring at these two locations and at the yoke at the back.

I understand that shirring at the shoulder is done to get a small armhole but a larger sleeve at the biceps, then have the sleeve gather into the cuff. How exactly should this be done, though, and how should one instruct a tailor if one wants this detail (considering not all of us have access to the best in fashion capitals around the world)? I think a tailor may misunderstand and interpret your desire for shirring as a cosmetic preference and miss any functionality or give you an overly blousy shirt. For example, should the armhole be smaller that it would be otherwise?

Finally, would a shirt with shirring look strange with a split yoke given that the former is Neapolitan and the latter is very English?

Here are Mafoofan's photos of his Anna M shirt, if he doesn't mind:

·
Registered
144 Posts
No nitpicks about pattern matching please!
Line match on the shoulder is not possible due to the shirring as on one side there will be more fabric and less on the other side to match.

Apologies for the slightly delayed post :)
It show how timeless many threads on this forum are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.