Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they compare with the the normal RL polo's?

On the RL website, they are $225 (£150) and $245 (£165). I am sure not if they retail for the same amount in the UK.
They on sale in Harrods and Selfridges, and probably in the RL store on Bond Street. I need to be in W1/SW1 to collect somethings and thought I am getting one.

· Registered
225 Posts
For that price, I assume you are talking dress shirts. They are quite nice, though if you shop around Virtual Clothes Horse and the like, they can readily be had in the $125 range. Though they are slimmer than Polo, they are still fairly generous in cut, so I do have them taken in. Personally, I prefer the Black Label. I believe RLPL shirts are made by Lorenzini, but don't hold me to it.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Very nice fabrics, and much more vibrant colors than the cheaper Polo labeled polos. They tend to fit a bit better than the plain Polo, but not as well as the custom fit polos. I also like the fact that they do not have banded sleeves.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice fabrics, and much more vibrant colors than the cheaper Polo labeled polos. They tend to fit a bit better than the plain Polo, but not as well as the custom fit polos. I also like the fact that they do not have banded sleeves.
Thanks. I want to try one out, as I will like them in my rotation for smarter occasions and to slowly replace my RL Polo polo's.

I picked two polo's early last year. One big pony with 3 on the sleeve and a polo with the new logo style with 3 on the sleeve and back. I asked if they came without number's especially the latter because of the number on the back but they did not.

Most of my RL polo's are the classic polo or special edition polo (Wimbledon, preppy style polo, special edition collar) with no numbers on them but I did have one big pony with 3 on the sleeve.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
The difference I think in the purple label Ralph Lauren shirts and other Ralph Lauren shirts is where they are made. The summer short sleeve purple label polo shirts are made in Italy.

The dress shirts that are purple label is made in Great Britain. Some of the older none purple label shirts polo shirts are made in America. Today the none purple label shirts are made in Asia.

The purple label dress shirts are better quality in my opinion. I think they are in the same class as Turnbull & Asser . The purple label polo shirts again in my opinion is much better
quality than other Ralph Lauren polo shirts.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, do not much about Purple Label as they have only started to have decent stock of the brand in the UK and the RL store never has the PL blazers in my size.

I want to try out if the polo's are worth the extra cost.

· Registered
1,528 Posts
The dress shirts that are purple label is made in Great Britain. Some of the older none purple label shirts polo shirts are made in America. Today the none purple label shirts are made in Asia.

The purple label dress shirts are better quality in my opinion. I think they are in the same class as Turnbull & Asser . The purple label polo shirts again in my opinion is much better
quality than other Ralph Lauren polo shirts.
They moved production of the dress shirts from GB (where they were made by Turnbull as Asser, if I'm not mistaken) to Lorenzini in Italy (unless they moved it back to GB). Also, when they first rolled out the PL line, they did make some of the dress shirts in the USA. I still have an old tuxedo shirt that was made in the USA. Found it at a TJ Maxx approx. a decade ago.

As to the PL polo shirts, they are quite a bit nicer than the Polo RL polo shirts, although the retail prices are pretty crazy. The cut on mine is also a bit slimmer than that on your typical classic cut PRL polo shirt or than that on your typical golf polo, such as those by Bobby Jones Collection.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
PL polos are a different animal. much more refined and made of a mercerized cotton lisle. They can be worn for golf, casual with khakis or slacks as well as jeans. The colors are also more classic. they prices are much too high for what you get so buy them on sale. I think they run small as well.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PL polos are a different animal. much more refined and made of a mercerized cotton lisle. They can be worn for golf, casual with khakis or slacks as well as jeans. The colors are also more classic. they prices are much too high for what you get so buy them on sale. I think they run small as well.
I was thinking with cotton trousers/jeans , casual blazer and loafers/buckle shoes - for spring and summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.