Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a pair of white Jack Purcells.
I've seen that one can purchase a pair in leather. Does anyone have any experience with the leather variety? Assuming that I don't get them wet too frequently, are they likely to be harder wearing and longer lasting than the canvas type?

Perhaps the additional 15% of the price accounts for more than just the raw materials. Is there a chance that the leather ones are actually better made?

Are the leather versions a new fashionable item designed for the high-end sneaker market (what ever that is) or are they equally traditional? I've seen pictures of early (1940's) canvas athletic shoes, but I know that leather sports shoes were also worn in days gone by.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've owned several pairs of canvas Purcell's over the years and I find that the canvas doesn't wear out. The rubber pieces of the sole come apart from one another or the inside liner (especially the heel) wear through. I'd stick with the canvas as they wash up great in the washing machine. I presume they're also cooler to wear. I have to say that the navy get more use for me than the white. Not sure why.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think the canvas is the more classic. I do not remember ever seeing leather models back when.

Interestingly, the canvas being used is different now. I have a pair that are about 16 years old, and the old canvas was very stiff, with no padding. I saw a new pair at J. Crew and they were much lighter weight canvas. This may not be a bad thing. From an athletic standpoint, these are not very good shoes. I wear them only as casual sneakers (which is why they have lasted about 16 years).

Whatever you do, do not get the ones at J. Crew that look like someone took a weed wacker to them.

If I wanted leather shoes, I would probably get some Stan Smiths.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Converse website states the shoes have been reinvented a bit with with a 1/2 inch thick insole, padded tongue & upper sockliner along with a redesigned outsole. I also noticed the sizing has also changed...10+ years ago I had to buy a 1/2 size down (like Chuck Taylors). I bought a new pair last month and the fit was true to size.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the general view is canvas.

I agree, pre-beaten up J.Crew ones are not ideal. Also, when last I visited a shop they only had full sizes. I found that it was best for me to go down 1/2 a size.

I plan to go white, b/c I'm thinking some sperry CVOs in navy might fill that need. (If only I can find a pair that isn't prefaded.... sigh)

Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.