Men's Clothing Forums banner

PSA O’Connell’s sale

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  YukonCornelius21 
#1 ·
The caption says it all. Even their unfused OCBDs (which IMHO are without peer).

#4 ·
Does anyone have experience with O'Connell's madras shirts? I noticed they are much more expensive than J Press ($155 vs $98 full price; still a lot more when on sale). I bought some from Press last summer and liked them. Is there any difference in quality?

#7 ·
I ordered some items from the sale, so here is a short review.

Shipping was very quick, I ordered in the morning and by that evening my package was already packed up and handed to UPS by O’Connell’s. I ordered O’Connell’s Serge Suit (on sale, made by Empire) both in navy and dark charcoal, and O’Connell’s Classic Suit in navy (not on sale, made by Hardwick in Tennessee) with the intent of comparing the fit and either keeping the serge suits or keeping the classic suit and ordering another in charcoal. I also ordered the Southwick Douglas medium gray fresco suit.

The Empire serge suits were in a very nice fabric, but my significant other commented that the charcoal one looked too shiny. The 3/2 roll was very high on these suits, making the lapels look short. Unbuttoned they almost looked like a 3/2.5 or 3 button suit. The shoulders had some structure; it felt like the chest canvas extended up into the shoulders, but it may have just been some wadding. The chest and shoulders were both a hair too wide, but still fit. I returned these due to the high button roll and shiny fabric. I was looking for lighter weight/more open weave suits for summer, and these were too tightly woven to fit the bill. I have an Empire suit made for J. Press which doesn’t have the 3/2 roll issue, so perhaps it could be something in the pattern they use for O’Connell’s or something that could be corrected with a pressing.

The Hardwick-made suit was in a lightweight plain weave, which was much less substantial but seemed more breathable. Held up to the light, you could see through the lining and fabric shell. The shoulders were totally unpadded, no wadding or canvas. They were also the broadest shoulders on any of the suits. The chest was a bit roomier than typical for my size, but not excessively so. The chest canvas also felt lighter than in the other suits, and I could definitely see why the MSRP for this suit is the lowest of those I ordered. Still a very nice suit for the price, but I returned it due to the overly broad shoulders and the fact that my dropped shoulder caused a large wrinkle on that side (probably could have been corrected by having my tailor add a small pad).

The Southwick suit was very nearly perfect. The Douglas fit very similarly to the Southwick for J. Press suit I have. I read that Press has their own pattern, but I don’t know how different it is besides the Press suit having slightly less structure in the shoulders. The fresco fabric was the real star, having a decent amount of weight (especially compared to the lightweight Hardwick suit) but still seeming breathable. The only fit issue is one sleeve seeming shorter than the other, but that may be due to my aforementioned dropped shoulder and can be easily corrected by my tailor lengthening the sleeve. If they had the charcoal fresco in my size, I would buy that one too.

For the 3 season weight navy and charcoal suits I need, I will get them made by the Southwick Factory. Their pricing can’t be beat for a basic made-in-USA Vitale Barberis fabric suit, and the Douglas fits me near perfectly with minimal alterations. If I had a better chest/waist drop, I would definitely consider the O’Connell’s Classic Suit in a smaller size.

#9 ·
I ordered some items from the sale, so here is a short review.

Shipping was very quick, I ordered in the morning and by that evening my package was already packed up and handed to UPS by O'Connell's. I ordered O'Connell's Serge Suit (on sale, made by Empire) both in navy and dark charcoal, and O'Connell's Classic Suit in navy (not on sale, made by Hardwick in Tennessee) with the intent of comparing the fit and either keeping the serge suits or keeping the classic suit and ordering another in charcoal. I also ordered the Southwick Douglas medium gray fresco suit.

The Empire serge suits were in a very nice fabric, but my significant other commented that the charcoal one looked too shiny. The 3/2 roll was very high on these suits, making the lapels look short. Unbuttoned they almost looked like a 3/2.5 or 3 button suit. The shoulders had some structure; it felt like the chest canvas extended up into the shoulders, but it may have just been some wadding. The chest and shoulders were both a hair too wide, but still fit. I returned these due to the high button roll and shiny fabric. I was looking for lighter weight/more open weave suits for summer, and these were too tightly woven to fit the bill. I have an Empire suit made for J. Press which doesn't have the 3/2 roll issue, so perhaps it could be something in the pattern they use for O'Connell's or something that could be corrected with a pressing.

The Hardwick-made suit was in a lightweight plain weave, which was much less substantial but seemed more breathable. Held up to the light, you could see through the lining and fabric shell. The shoulders were totally unpadded, no wadding or canvas. They were also the broadest shoulders on any of the suits. The chest was a bit roomier than typical for my size, but not excessively so. The chest canvas also felt lighter than in the other suits, and I could definitely see why the MSRP for this suit is the lowest of those I ordered. Still a very nice suit for the price, but I returned it due to the overly broad shoulders and the fact that my dropped shoulder caused a large wrinkle on that side (probably could have been corrected by having my tailor add a small pad).

The Southwick suit was very nearly perfect. The Douglas fit very similarly to the Southwick for J. Press suit I have. I read that Press has their own pattern, but I don't know how different it is besides the Press suit having slightly less structure in the shoulders. The fresco fabric was the real star, having a decent amount of weight (especially compared to the lightweight Hardwick suit) but still seeming breathable. The only fit issue is one sleeve seeming shorter than the other, but that may be due to my aforementioned dropped shoulder and can be easily corrected by my tailor lengthening the sleeve. If they had the charcoal fresco in my size, I would buy that one too.

For the 3 season weight navy and charcoal suits I need, I will get them made by the Southwick Factory. Their pricing can't be beat for a basic made-in-USA Vitale Barberis fabric suit, and the Douglas fits me near perfectly with minimal alterations. If I had a better chest/waist drop, I would definitely consider the O'Connell's Classic Suit in a smaller size.
Great post and I agree. Between Southwick and all other suits/sport coats/blazers I have been around, Southwick is hands down the best.

#12 ·
I dropped a fair amount of coin there this past winter, couldn't be happier with the quality overall. Slacks and dress pants, a tweed vest, braces. I can't wait to go back again.

Would say this regarding the limited edition Trafalgar braces: beautiful, but for at least one pair of the three bought I've found the clasps tend to give way.

Given the $200+ price tag, that's a bit suboptimal. However there are few things that shout "look here" so quietly.

#14 ·
I picked up some gray gabardine trousers (have a pair in charcoal and they are fantastic), a pair of madras shorts, and an H. Freeman navy hopsack blazer in the Naturalaire 6 model. I have heard good things about H. Freeman and particularly the Naturalaire model and am eager to receive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.