Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I bought a pair of Magnanni Rodas that I really like (not sure if that's a good brand but I really like the shoe). But I'm worried that it's too big. It doesn't move around much at the heel but there is probably an inch or so of space between my toe and the tip of the shoe. I usually only wear Allen Edmond and those are much tighter in the toe area. Do you think these are too big? They are an 8.5 which is what I wear in Allen Edmonds.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
OK.
They do mention this on their website (under "sizing information"):

All of the shoes on our website are listed in US sizes and US prices. Our shoes tend to run slightly large compared to other dress shoe brands. If you have not tried our shoes before, then we recommend ordering a half-size below what you normally wear.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Is rhe widest point of your foot seated in the widest point in the shoes, when you put them on? How do they feel on your feet...do they feel too large? The space remaining between your toes and the front edge of the shoe is not always a reliable way to determine proper fit. ;)

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Eagle has given you the advice that I heartily recommend.

Size numbers are but a general guide to finding a proper fitting shoe. Space in front of the toes is of no concern. As a matter of fact I have never checked that parameter when trying on a shoe.

There is only one criteria that matters. How do they feel? If they are comfortable, and do not slip then that is the entire matter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eagle has given you the advice that I heartily recommend.

Size numbers are but a general guide to finding a proper fitting shoe. Space in front of the toes is of no concern. As a matter of fact I have never checked that parameter when trying on a shoe.

There is only one criteria that matters. How do they feel? If they are comfortable, and do not slip then that is the entire matter.
They aren't awful. If they are tied relatively tightly they are fine. If I wore a heavier sock it would be fine. My concern is I read the following on business insider:

• The shoe's two leather eyelet "wings", where the shoe laces loop through, touch each other when the shoes are tied. What you want is a V-shape on both open and closed lacing systems. If the leather touches when the shoes are tied, that means they're too big.
The leather doesn't touch but it's pretty close compared to my other shoes.

When I get home I can show you a photo of how they look on my feet.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
They aren't awful. If they are tied relatively tightly they are fine. If I wore a heavier sock it would be fine. My concern is I read the following on business insider:

• The shoe's two leather eyelet "wings", where the shoe laces loop through, touch each other when the shoes are tied. What you want is a V-shape on both open and closed lacing systems. If the leather touches when the shoes are tied, that means they're too big.
The leather doesn't touch but it's pretty close compared to my other shoes.

When I get home I can show you a photo of how they look on my feet.
You definitely have some wiggle room here. As long as they don't actually touch you are fine - and too big a v-shape means the shoe is a bit small.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's hard to compare one shoe place to another. I normally wear a size 11, but when I buy AE shoes, I actually get a size 10. And they're not cramped at all. I actually have plenty of room. It's almost like their size 10 is equal to other shoe's size 11s. At least in my experience.
I also used to wear shoes that were a little too tight. Then I started wearing them looser and it's actually been better. I don't mean loose as in it flops around on my foot if I wiggle my foot. But, loose as in it's not really tight. At first it was strange, but then I got used to it and it's actually more comfortable. And I'm just talking about dress/semi-casual shoes, not sneakers for working out. So, ultimately, you have to decide whether the shoe is comfortable to you or not and that's just a matter of walking around in it and seeing how it feels.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
You definitely have some wiggle room here. As long as they don't actually touch you are fine - and too big a v-shape means the shoe is a bit small.
To add, this is the 3rd factor rarely discussed. That's the instep and volume of your foot vs. the shoe.

It also depends on the shoe itself. Ex: A lot of AE's shoes have facings that would never touch, regardless of fit.

Contrast that to something like this

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's hard to compare one shoe place to another. I normally wear a size 11, but when I buy AE shoes, I actually get a size 10. And they're not cramped at all. I actually have plenty of room. It's almost like their size 10 is equal to other shoe's size 11s. At least in my experience.
I also used to wear shoes that were a little too tight. Then I started wearing them looser and it's actually been better. I don't mean loose as in it flops around on my foot if I wiggle my foot. But, loose as in it's not really tight. At first it was strange, but then I got used to it and it's actually more comfortable. And I'm just talking about dress/semi-casual shoes, not sneakers for working out. So, ultimately, you have to decide whether the shoe is comfortable to you or not and that's just a matter of walking around in it and seeing how it feels.
I know, I think my thing is that I'm so used to my Allen Edmond shoes being so tight. An AE in a 9 is way too lose but an 8.5 is actually pretty tight even though it's only one step down. In these new shoes my heel definitely lifts up a tiny bit when the laces are tied, and if the laces were loose the shoe could easily be taken off, so I'm guessing it's a little too big. Thanks for the advice. This forum is always very helpful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.