Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received my March Esquire and while I waited for my car to be repaired this afternoon waded through their profile of their Best Dressed Man as crowned late last year. This is an ode to the virtues of quantity over quality and all you need know is that this gentlemen's brand of choice for tailored clothing is BOSS. His image is enhanced by the revelation of the strong smell of mildew in his bathroom and other signs of the high life. Not sure when my subscription expires but can hardly wait for the next issue. This gentleman makes $150M as a brand manager for Procter & Gamble and owns 32 pair of jeans ($250 each) that are now too large because he's lost 20 pounds.

Interestingly I was glancing at the new hardcopy Esquire Handbook of Style and was favorably impressed because throughout they seemed to emphasize quality over quantity. Mixed message to say the least and while I know their style editor is well regarded and a contributor to AAAC I just don't understand how this guy is the best representation of all that Esquire once stood for. The irony is enhanced by the final page "This Way Out" featuring Obits, a humorous collection of icons that have died recently. To this we can add the sense of style and taste once assumed in Esquire.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I bought a copy of the Esquire book and its not bad, its a good intro to get younger folks headed in the right direction but it isn't remotely definitive and I have found a number of errors in it that slipped past. I am about half way through it but its funny how they make recommendation for providers at the end of each chapter and they do admit they are being subjective but their lists (shirt makers, suit makers, etc) is short, lame and kind of all over the map.

I get the magazine as well and it always cracks me up how they list off what someone is wearing and it always runs into the many thousands of dollars, its usually fashion that will be toast in 10 months and they write about it like "you should get this" when 90% of their readers couldn't afford the shirt much less the ensemble and its draped over some hollywood actor who had to remove his jeans and "hoodie" to put it on. Not very realistic but nice to look at.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Lost their way.... Bollocks... compared to what? 1936?

I enjoyed that article just for the depth they gave it and, as with most things Esquire, it was entertaining to read. AF was hilarious this month.

Yeah- so their "regular guy" buys crappy clothes by the standards of the hyper-interested crowd of AAAC, SF and the like. But if they focused solely on that tiny niche they'd have closed long ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.