Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Last week I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Weybridge. They felt great in the store, and seemed to break in fine wearing them around in my apartment (except for a very mild digging into the top of my foot). Well, the first time I wore them outside, I went for a bit of a walk. By the end of the walk, the left shoe kept digging very painfully into the top of my foot, right below my toes (what I had mentioned before). This occurs at the part of the stride when the left foot is behind you, heel off the ground, and the toes bend as you essentially push yourself forward off of the left foot. I tried wearing them again today, and it seemed just as bad if not worse.

Is there anything I can do? They are bearable, but very uncomfortable. The rest of the shoe broke in well, but this seems to just get worse. This is sometimes a problem with shoes for me (for my left foot), but it has never gotten worse as the shoe broke in (let alone so much worse). I had bought the shoe at Macy's so I know whey won't accept it as a return or exchange because there likely isn't anything "wrong" with the shoe. Is there are "home remedy" or the like? Would AE itself let me exchange? Or, am I just out of luck?

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
292 Posts
I had this exact problem with my Weybridges for the first 5 or 6 times I wore them. It was so painful and pronounced that I got a huge blood blister on my left big toe, but I kept wearing them, and in the past several wearings the problem has essentially disappeared. I can feel the leather on my left foot when I walk, but not uncomfortably. I think the leather just needs to soften up a bit, and would encourage you to wear them at least 10 times (and I mean for the whole day, not just an hour or two) before taking any drastic measures.

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this exact problem with my Weybridges for the first 5 or 6 times I wore them. It was so painful and pronounced that I got a huge blood blister on my left big toe, but I kept wearing them, and in the past several wearings the problem has essentially disappeared. I can feel the leather on my left foot when I walk, but not uncomfortably. I think the leather just needs to soften up a bit, and would encourage you to wear them at least 10 times (and I mean for the whole day, not just an hour or two) before taking any drastic measures.
Thanks! that is very helpful. I'll keep wearing them and hopefully it goes away.

· Registered
124 Posts
I spoke with a shoe salesman the other day about the same problem on a pair I was trying on. He said he could have some kind of leather insert put in that would raise the foot slightly, making that part of the shoe lie flatter against the top of the foot. He claimed that by having your foot closer to the top of the shoe, there wouldn't be room for it to cut so much.

· Registered
254 Posts
I spoke with a shoe salesman the other day about the same problem on a pair I was trying on. He said he could have some kind of leather insert put in that would raise the foot slightly, making that part of the shoe lie flatter against the top of the foot. He claimed that by having your foot closer to the top of the shoe, there wouldn't be room for it to cut so much.
That just sounds like it could give you ankle, knee, and back problems.

I also have a new pair of Weybridges, and I also notice the shoe bending inward at that point. It's not unbearable by any definition, but it's there.

If you're sure they really fit length and width-wise, I'd give them about ten wearings to break in. I've also heard making sure you use shoe trees between wearings and putting on some leather moisterizer (or is it just shoe polish, not sure. . .) all help with the breaking in.

· Registered
139 Posts
I've had the occasional pair of shoes that (literally) rubbed me the wrong way at first. I've found that giving them a couple of days' rest before wearing them again can help, otherwise the uncomfortable spot just seems to get more and more sensitive. Giving it time to heal can make a lot of difference.

· Registered
727 Posts
I have had this problem with a pair of EG Telford.

My solution - I afixed a felt tongue pad horizontally across the vamp where the break occurs. It largely solved the problem. A few pieces of moleskin attached to my foot and i am good to go.

EG leather can be very thick and my fix had largely solved the problem. The tongue pads felt funny intially, but I have gotten used to them.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I have also had some problems with a couple pairs of new EG shoes. It doesn't start out that way, but during the day for some reason I think if you are walking for awhile your foot swells a little and my 4th toe of my left foot starts to rub on the top of the shoe when I walk. I have gotten a blister. It only has happened on new shoes where the leather hasn't broken in enough.

I have worn a bandage on my toe and this has worked. Once the shoe has broken in and the leather gives a little I don't have this problem. Some shoes are not made for alot of walking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.