Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
In the past, the Press duffles were from Gloverall, making them somewhat authentic. The BB coat is handsome, but the detachable hood is a bit suspect. I'd go for the Press/Gloverall, but consider the wool content in both before making a final decision.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but does camelhair hold up to moisture as well as wool? I always try to stay out of the rain in my camelhair blazer for fear of nappiness.

Sheep spend more time in the rain than camels, but that theory may not hold water.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Brooks copies coats and labels them their own.

To wit:

Waxed cotton. Why not buy a barbour for the same price and own the original (and better made, is my guess).

Holds true for the duffle. Why buy a reproduction when you can have a gloverall for the same price at either Press or from Gloverall directly?

My $ .02.

JB

·
Inactive User
2,695 Posts
i would wait for the BB clearance sale and buy that coat for 40% off. (could be even cheaper if you hit the sale at the right time - 12/26 in the morning).
I got mine on sale from Brooks and it has held up well these many years.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With the recent fall of the pound, I would suggest purchasing the Gloverall Monty:

I have not seen this jacket stateside, so I had to purchase online. Not as "refined" as the Gloverall offered by Press, but I think the rope toggles, open pockets, and lack of lining are pluses rather than minuses. The next best thing to a true vintage Monty.

Beware of the duty; however, even with duty and shipping, the same price or cheaper than Press or BB. And arguably more trad than either, if that works into your calculus.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a BB model that I got for 50% off after Christmas a few years ago, and a friend has two of the Press by Gloveralls.

I think there's definite value in getting the genuine article (made in Britain, by Gloverall). At the same time, I don't think it's the same thing as a shetland sweater made in Hong Kong versus a true Scottish Shetland.

In the case of the duffle coat, the fabric on my BB (fabric is made in Italy) is substantially heavier than either of those by Press my friend owns. It also features a nicer lining (one of his has no lining, at least visible).

I would very seldom say this about BB because their quality in general is usually inferior to Press, but in this case I think the BB is a better coat. Heavier, the fabric looks nicer, and even the horn toggles are more substantial. I think it's a rare case of BB outdoing the original, even if it is a copy.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I was gifted with a Brooks duffle about 5 years ago that is made from Loro Piana double faced wool. It is warm, very well made and comfortable. I haven't owned a Gloverall coat, but have looked over and tried on their duffle coats, and while they're fine coats, IMO, the Brooks' coat is better made from better material.

I don't know if Gloverall is more "authentic," as in originating the style, but many manufacturers have made this style coat over the last 60 years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That BB coat very well may be better quality, but it is some kind of [email protected] duffle coat offspring. It has a toggles and a zipper plus the detachable hood is goofy. The Gloverall hood works as it is designed to lie flat. If you dont want a hood then dont buy a duffle coat. I recall OConnells has Gloverall too if you dont care for the Press offering.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's hard to imagine going wrong with a Gloverall. I've had mine for a dozen or more years, and it's still going strong (save for a couple of small moth holes that I noticed last year... &@*!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.