Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
How many American Shoe Companies are there? 3 that I know of. AE, Alden, Florsheim. i doubt he is wearing Florsheim. He will probably wear the AE's. I know he wears American made stuff. He wore A HSM MTM suit to the convention.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would not wear a pair of shoes for the first time on such an important day. Can you imagine if they proved uncomfortable?
I would... but I would put duct tape around my heel and be comfortable. My AEs always scrape up my left heel for a few wears because a difference in size between my feet. If there was an easy way to get 13.5 shoes I would just wear a size up, but I'm at the end of half sizes and 14s are super loose.

I would like to see these shoes. Well done, AE. I hope they were worn.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
How many American Shoe Companies are there? 3 that I know of. AE, Alden, Florsheim. i doubt he is wearing Florsheim. He will probably wear the AE's. I know he wears American made stuff. He wore A HSM MTM suit to the convention.
Does Florsheim make any of its shoes stateside anymore? I believe Johnston & Murphy still manufactures a few of its top-of-the-line styles in the USA.

I think we must limited the term "shoe companies" to "dress shoe companies." I believe quite a lot of work shoes, cowboy and outdoor boots and such are still made in the USA.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Does Florsheim make any of its shoes stateside anymore? I believe Johnston & Murphy still manufactures a few of its top-of-the-line styles in the USA.

I think we must limited the term "shoe companies" to "dress shoe companies." I believe quite a lot of work shoes, cowboy and outdoor boots and such are still made in the USA.
Yes, J&M still manufacture their Crown Aristocraft shoes in the U.S., although no longer at their factory in Nashville apparently.

I agree on the second paragraph. There are many makers of boots (Red Wing, Tony Llama) and sneakers (New Balance) that still manufacture many of their shoes in the U.S. The U.S. made New Balance are amongst the best running shoes out there, and I wear them exclusively for my daily run.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Yes, J&M still manufacture their Crown Aristocraft shoes in the U.S., although no longer at their factory in Nashville apparently.

I agree on the second paragraph. There are many makers of boots (Red Wing, Tony Llama) and sneakers (New Balance) that still manufacture many of their shoes in the U.S. The U.S. made New Balance are amongst the best running shoes out there, and I wear them exclusively for my daily run.
Do you know where the Stateside J&Ms are made now? The manager of the Tysons Corner store told me a while back that they had begun offshoring everything, including the Crown Aristos (of course he then added that he still had "a few pairs" of US-made CAs in stock, so this may have been merely a sales ploy).

I love NB athletic shoes and always look for the US-made ones. Found some at Syms just last week.

As for our new president, I heard that during a campaign event he ID'd his suits as OTR, US-made Burberrys (I believe they're made by HSM).

As a US president, he's just got to wear some Park Aves at some point. They are pretty much the modal US-made men's business shoe.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Do you know where the Stateside J&Ms are made now? The manager of the Tysons Corner store told me a while back that they had begun offshoring everything, including the Crown Aristos (of course he then added that he still had "a few pairs" of US-made CAs in stock, so this may have been merely a sales ploy).

I love NB athletic shoes and always look for the US-made ones. Found some at Syms just last week.

As for our new president, I heard that during a campaign event he ID'd his suits as OTR, US-made Burberrys (I believe they're made by HSM).

As a US president, he's just got to wear some Park Aves at some point. They are pretty much the modal US-made men's business shoe.
us made burberrys are made by hickey freeman.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

us made burberrys are made by hickey freeman.
Alex is right - Hickey Freeman. I've examined some Burberry suits recently and I think they are pretty nice. The build quality seems on-par with full-line H-F but the cuts are much more slender and, err, British.

But thats an aside - I too heard that Obama wore a few Burberry suits during the campaign. I've also heard that post victory he has been wearing HSM MTMs as was also mentioned.

As for his shoes - I caught a quick glimpse and they looked like AE PAs to me. Then again, most black cap-toe bals all look the same from any kind of distance so we will likely never know.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Big Picture from the Charlotte Observer

I don't know my AEs as I am an Alden fan; however, his shoes look like a split toe with a double oak sole. A plain captoe would have been the most sober and fashionable choice.

Obama is not a fashion icon and GWB43 wasn't either, although W's suits were made by Oxxford. BHO44 trouser break is too long, or his trousers don't fit properly and have ridden down. I bemoan the return of the red tie.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know my AEs as I am an Alden fan; however, his shoes look like a split toe with a double oak sole. A plain captoe would have been the most sober and fashionable choice.

Obama is not a fashion icon and GWB43 wasn't either, although W's suits were made by Oxxford. BHO44 trouser break is too long, or his trousers don't fit properly and have ridden down. I bemoan the return of the red tie.
I don't have a problem with the red tie. It seems a perfectly handsome conservative option. I agree on the trousers break and on the shoes, which appear to my eyes to be bluchers? Is that right? If so, I admit a much favor bals for such solemn occasions.

In any case, I would not wish the spotlight on me that we are placing on Obama. While our sartorial criticisms are of interest to us, I would hope everyone appreciates that they are not especially important.

I especially agree that the kids look great, but what a pain it would be to worry about people reviewing the dress of one's children.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'm less concerned about Obama's dress than his wife's horrible choices in clothing. That yellow thing she wore during the day hurt my eyes, and the evening wasn't much better.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't have a problem with the red tie. It seems a perfectly handsome conservative option. I agree on the trousers break and on the shoes, which appear to my eyes to be bluchers? Is that right? If so, I admit a much favor bals for such solemn occasions.

In any case, I would not wish the spotlight on me that we are placing on Obama. While our sartorial criticisms are of interest to us, I would hope everyone appreciates that they are not especially important.

I especially agree that the kids look great, but what a pain it would be to worry about people reviewing the dress of one's children.
I thought the point of the thread was to determine whether or not our new President is a fashionable dresser.

It appears he isn't.

His importance will be judged by history. Our media loves him. Power is quite an aphrodisiac. I have to depend on my sartorial savvy, good looks, and wit.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
BHO is far from a fashion icon. I remember when Clinton took office they were talking about clothing person to help him with his wardrobe and he definitely looked alot better as his term went forward. I think BHO needs one badly. His trouser break on his suit and his tux was terrible. He needs more than 5 ties as well. He wears very comfortable wide lasted shoes. He needs to get a better looking pair as those are awful.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Yes, Obama needs help--sartorially--and he needs it badly. I would nominate our friend Manton for the job of his style consultant. Even though Manton differs widely in political philosophy from most in the incoming administration, at least it would offer him a chance to return to the corridors of power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.