Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Practical limits on sleeve shortening on jackets with working button holes

Yes, I understand this issue has been discussed. I have 2 specific questions and would like current opinion. Perhaps I can post pictures later.

The facts:
I have a jacket that has working sleeve buttons. The first button of each sleeve is centered nicely at exactly 1.5 inches from the end of the cuff. The ends are finished in what I would term a mitered cut style, if this matters. The sleeves are .25 to .5 inches too long. I will not have the sleeves shortened from the arm holes.

The questions:
1) Could .5 inch be taken from the end of the jacket, both functionally (is it possible) as well as aesthetically (would the now 1 inch distance to the first button look too short)?
2) If I just want the sleeves shortened by .25 an inch would any tailor find this a worthwhile excercise, or am I splitting too fine a hair to bother? I ask because I think .25 inch shorter will make a difference to my satisfaction, assumign it could be executed.

The editorial:
I really wish the vendor would have altered my sleeves as instructed in the first place prior to sewing the button holes. I just need to move on at this time however.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is a timely question as I am going to go bespoke soon, and I want to be able to bequeath my suits to my son. This got me to thinking how I can provide for his sleeve length without foregoing working sleeve buttons altogether.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you refuse to to have the sleeves altered from the shoulder, then I think half an inch is too much aesthetically to reduce the cuff, although it is physically possible. A quarter inch is possible, I've done it before, and if it's going to make you more confident wearing the jacket then go for it. Also, you can ask the tailor to possible contour the end of the cuff, so that by the buttons is a bit longer, and by the seam is a bit shorter. This way you'll still see more of the shirt cuff, however the button-end of sleeve ration won't seem as out of proportion. This is difficult to do tastefully, but I've seen it work out.

Droog

This is a timely question as I am going to go bespoke soon, and I want to be able to bequeath my suits to my son. This got me to thinking how I can provide for his sleeve length without foregoing working sleeve buttons altogether.
While that is a nice idea, I think it's hard to predict whether your son will be a close enough approximation to your size in five to ten years to wear your bespoke clothing. Remember it is made for your shape exactly, and he will probably not have the same shape. My point being, get the cuffs and sleeves you want and enjoy them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you refuse to to have the sleeves altered from the shoulder, then I think half an inch is too much aesthetically to reduce the cuff, although it is physically possible. A quarter inch is possible, I've done it before, and if it's going to make you more confident wearing the jacket then go for it. Also, you can ask the tailor to possible contour the end of the cuff, so that by the buttons is a bit longer, and by the seam is a bit shorter. This way you'll still see more of the shirt cuff, however the button-end of sleeve ration won't seem as out of proportion. This is difficult to do tastefully, but I've seen it work out.
Thanks so much for the precise and timely response. I appreciate your time and information.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say 1/4" is fine if it makes you feel more confident in the suit. May I ask why you refuse to shorten the jacket at the armholes? Risk? Cost?
Unfortunately, "Yes".

I called the person who is generally known to be the most competent alterations person available to me, and she would not perform shortening at the shoulders. Perhaps I can do some more digging, but my concern is ruining an otherwise nice but affordable suit.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
RE: Practical limits on sleeve shortening on jackets with working button holes

Yes, I understand this issue has been discussed. I have 2 specific questions and would like current opinion. Perhaps I can post pictures later.

The facts:
I have a jacket that has working sleeve buttons. The first button of each sleeve is centered nicely at exactly 1.5 inches from the end of the cuff. The ends are finished in what I would term a mitered cut style, if this matters. The sleeves are .25 to .5 inches too long. I will not have the sleeves shortened from the arm holes.

The questions:
1) Could .5 inch be taken from the end of the jacket, both functionally (is it possible) as well as aesthetically (would the now 1 inch distance to the first button look too short)?
2) If I just want the sleeves shortened by .25 an inch would any tailor find this a worthwhile excercise, or am I splitting too fine a hair to bother? I ask because I think .25 inch shorter will make a difference to my satisfaction, assumign it could be executed.

The editorial:
I really wish the vendor would have altered my sleeves as instructed in the first place prior to sewing the button holes. I just need to move on at this time however.

Thanks for any replies.
1/4 " would look ok.
Bookster 1 UK sets all their first buttons 1" from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
you could ask for extra length turned under at the bottom of the sleeves.
also ask for extra large outlets every wear on the jacket if you do custom.
if its m2m they may not do that.
his body shape and posture may be different.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The sleeve end can be de-constructed and the turned-under fabric re-angled. The angle can be changed to terminate nearer the sleeve end point. This can be configured until the edge of the underside angle approaches the first button hole. A mitred seam with the adjoining cloth is unnecessary. A sewn overlap will suffice. The button end will also have to be re-constructed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.