Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Great article. The next time I see some young buck walking around with rubber-soled shoes on I'm going to chain him to the railroad tracks behind the office.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
When I was younger, I worked for a firm which required you to put your jacket on the back of your chair while you worked and put it on when you walked out of your office. I was seen walking in town at lunch with my button undone on my jacket and was given a gentle reminder. Life was easy then. The message was simple--strive for perfection.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Great article. The next time I see some young buck walking around with rubber-soled shoes on I'm going to chain him to the railroad tracks behind the office.
I now work for a business casual company and to my dismay own three paird of AEs with rubber soles. Living in IL with very harsh witners I can see the need for a single pair, but I have no idea what posessed me to take leave of my senses and purchase three. Never again.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Seeing the photo of the two law partners reminds me . . .

. . . of when I was choosing fabric for my first MTM suit.

I bought my first (and to date) only MTM suit through BB, with Martin Greenfield doing the measurements.

I was torn between two fabrics - one with a bolder set of chalk stripes, and a more subtle one. I asked Martin which I should choose.

He said, "If you were a lawyer in court, I'd suggest the bold chalk stripes, but, for anyone else, I'd choose the more subtle one." Needless to say, I took Martin's advice, and took the more subtle fabric (I'm not a lawyer), but the lawyers shown look as if they also took Martin's advice - their suit stripings are quite bold, and their clothes certainly make a statement.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
There are two hardy staples of journalistic discussions of menswear:

"Return of the Suit"

and

"Death of the Necktie"

As forum regulars are doubtless aware, we have been seeing examples of both articles for years.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Power attire... yikes. The guys pictured look like pompous jerks.

That is what this is about, right? I support a return to coat and tie, but not the power dressing craze of the '80s and '90s.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Yikes, I hope Dudley Doright and his horse arrive in time to prevent tragedy!!!

Wouldn't a day in the pillory be sufficient punishment?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
There are two hardy staples of journalistic discussions of menswear:

"Return of the Suit"

and

"Death of the Necktie"

As forum regulars are doubtless aware, we have been seeing examples of both articles for years.
My favorite in this vein was an article I saw a few year's back in . . . was it Newsweek? . . . on how the white shirt was "making a comeback." Right.

I guess being a fashion journalist must be a bit like writing for Men's Health. How many times you can write a "fresh" description of how to do a pushup or a dumbbell curl?

640 Posts
Power attire... yikes. The guys pictured look like pompous jerks.

That is what this is about, right? I support a return to coat and tie, but not the power dressing craze of the '80s and '90s.
^ +1. They look like a pair of imperious parvenus about to be consumed by each other's hubris.

The photo and text of that article portray a sartorial creed that's facile, yet still ostentatious. My favorites....
  • "[Bill Brewer] prides himself on custom three-button suits with a center vent....."
  • "....and he bought the cap-toed Ferragamos that Mr. Gardner suggested."
I was waiting for the article to go on into a quote something like.....

"'I was thinking the next best thing would be to get his shoes shined,' Mr. Gardner recalls. But he didn't stop there. 'I just told him, We gotta get rid of those shoes. We went straight to my favorite shoe store and I had my salesman set him up with two new pair, both in corrected grain. You can't beat corrected grain for the way it holds a shine."

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
^ My thoughts exactly, which I posted on the trad forum. BTW, Why make a custom suit with a center vent. The idea of a jacket with vents is to be on the sides so when you put your hand(s) in your pocket the jacket is not ruffled and it looks better.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I once heard from an attorney that he decided what to wear in court based on what role he anticipated playing that day: Opening and closing statements, direct examination, presenting briefs would call for dark suits and conservative ties. Listening to the other side's opening and closing, assuming they weren't on the same day(s) as his own, cross, responding to motions called for more patterned or brighter colored suits, noticeable ties. That way, he maintained, he would be subdued when in the finder of fact's eye and inescapably noticeable when not.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That was encouraging to read that article, but I do not really believe that there is any such trend to dress well as we know how. The trend is to pay careful and meticulous attention to one's dress while wearing many horrid things.

Cordovan

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I once heard from an attorney that he decided what to wear in court based on what role he anticipated playing that day: Opening and closing statements, direct examination, presenting briefs would call for dark suits and conservative ties. Listening to the other side's opening and closing, assuming they weren't on the same day(s) as his own, cross, responding to motions called for more patterned or brighter colored suits, noticeable ties. That way, he maintained, he would be subdued when in the finder of fact's eye and inescapably noticeable when not.
When I got out of Law School I clerked for a judge, and he one day asked me this riddle--"when does the trial begin?" "Jury selection," I proferred. "Wrong," was his retort. "When you are driving to the courthouse and you are late and you cut the woman off who ends up on your jury. She recognizes the ass that cut her off and you don't recognize her." I loved that advice--you really never do know who is watching. Michael Phelps could have used a course with my judge. Although I like their formality, I would say they should probably have passed on the article--better to go unnoticed than be viewed as a pompous ass, regardless of where your vents are. :icon_smile_big:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
^ My thoughts exactly, which I posted on the trad forum. BTW, Why make a custom suit with a center vent. The idea of a jacket with vents is to be on the sides so when you put your hand(s) in your pocket the jacket is not ruffled and it looks better.
I disagree with that line of thinking. Centre and side vents are a matter of preference, both with their pros and cons. Same goes with pleats versus plain front.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really think the economy we are having could bring back more of the suit.....people definitely want to put their A-game on and not be looked at as the least common denominator.

Not that it makes up for being an idiot, but every bit counts, and as we all know in this forum, image is an important part of success. You could be the greatest lawyer/surgeon/banker/etc but if you look like a slob who is really going to test the waters?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I now work for a business casual company and to my dismay own three paird of AEs with rubber soles. Living in IL with very harsh witners I can see the need for a single pair, but I have no idea what posessed me to take leave of my senses and purchase three. Never again.
It may be more of a hassle than it's worth, but you could always wear a rubber-soled pair on the walk or commute to work, and then change into a leather-soled pair at the office. Just try not to let anyone catch you doing it, or you may be accused of being eccentric to the point of OCD-ness.

But that's what we do here in school. I'm in Evanston, and right now our winter is still in full force. I wouldn't dream of wearing my nicer AEs out in the slush, snow, and salt on my 10-minute walk to campus. So I just wear a pair of winter boots for the walk, then change into the AEs for interviews on campus.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.