3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Classic look or too much pattern?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
POW check with a stripe

Gentlemen

Although according to a lot of books etc it is a non no, especially here.

I disagree. And it can be an elegant. I have one POW check (H & K) that matches up to a nice dark navy tie. With a chalk stripe. That is white appearing, although it hints blue.
It is an old wool Robert Talbot tie.
It looks great. And not too busy. One of my favorite looks.
Answer to the question. Yes, it can be done. And is done frequently in Europe.
Nice day

·
Registered
764 Posts
Stripes and checks are fine. The problem I would have would be pairing a PoW suit with what is a casual shirt. A sportcoat may be okay, but the suit calls for a finer fabric. The less daring types would have an easier go with hairline or thin stripes.

There is more to life than blue and white shirts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some stripes could work; I wouldn't say university is one of them.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I but I consider myself very (too?) conservative about that sort of thing...
No, that view is not at all too conservative.
I think class is underrated and anything other than a plain shirt with a POW shows in my opinion a lack of taste and/or class. Reserve the striped and checked shirts for plain suits and blazers. Simple really. :icon_smile:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Classic look or too much pattern?
It's a classic pairing, but careful attention must be paid to pattern intensity, that is, how "busy" each pattern is. It's often written that it's only an issue of scale, but you can have two patterns of entirely different scale, but with the same intensity, and they will clash. And the opposite is true.

The POW is very versatile, perhaps because despite a lot of pattern, it's so geometric and balanced. It can work with a lot of other patterns if you go smaller or larger, and watch the intensity. Color affects the equation also. A pattern you wish to match that either blends with, or is complimentary to either the ground or an accent color will affect how well the other pattern melds with the POW.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't think that combo works well together...sorry...

When you match stripes, plaids, checks, etc...I try to never have a bold pattern on top of a bold pattern...you need a buffer...for example, if your suit is bold, due a subtle shirt, then a bold tie...if your shirt is bold, do a subtle suit and tie...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I try to never have a bold pattern on top of a bold pattern...you need a buffer...
That's they key. I have a PoW suit that I wear with uni stripes all the time. Thing is, you wouldn't even know the suit was PoW unless you got right up on it...

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Some POW's, including many suiting fabrics are so muted as to be almost solids. Despite being a large pattern, the geometric grid it creates often results in the intensity of a small check, with such POW's a large scale pattern will often create a pleasing harmony.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go for it. No teacher like experience after all. Anyway, its all kind of muted but I think it works out ok. Maybe even scope for an emblematic to liven things up.

I guess because ofthe fluorescent lighting, the unistripes look much grayer than reality.

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^
AldenPyle, I like the way it looks in the photo.

Large pattern suit + small pattern shirt + solid tie. Works for me.

Some POW's, including many suiting fabrics are so muted as to be almost solids. Despite being a large pattern, the geometric grid it creates often results in the intensity of a small check, with such POW's a large scale pattern will often create a pleasing harmony.
To me, the university-stripe shirt is muted enough that it acts as a solid, so the POW stands out.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
AP - this does look fine in the photo. I'd still not do it myself, but I don't think it looks bad because the color of the stripe echoes that of the suit.

Of course, I was thinking only of a blue stripe shirt because that is how my mind works.:icon_smile_wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.