Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! Great find.

How does it compare in terms of weight to North Sea clothing?
Funny, I was asked that on another forum, here's a slightly edited version of what I wrote there:

Guideboat's is similar to North Sea, but less heavy - still a heavy sweater (no question about that) but somewhat less heavy that NS's Sherman-Tank-like weight.

Also, the Guideboat sweater's hand is less rough than NS's / It's similar to the North Sea one in texture, but definitely less scratchy (the NS is scratchy, the Guideboat one is modestly less scratchy) and, as noted, less heavy (still heavy, just not uber heavy).

^^+1.
Fading Fast, you are indeed a wise shopper...that is a great sweater and at a very nice price!
Thank you. I got the navy one as a Xmas gift - and realized how nice it is - hence, I pounced on the off-white as soon as it went on sale. It is very good value at $119 - it's a high quality sweater. Also, it fits me really, really well (better than the NS ones do).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting, will have to check out Guideboat.

Speaking of North Sea Clothing, I purchased a Marine Mk 2 in Navy in their winter sale. Half price from £160 to £80.

I have a Submariner from them which is a staple of my winter wardrobe and, if anything, I would say that the finish on the Marine Mk 2 is even nicer. The cable knit is really beautiful.

I am a size 42 in a suit jacket, and generally a size large in most items. North Sea Clothing is quite fitted and the recommendation given to me for my first purchase was possibly to go up a size to 44. I did that with the Submariner and found that it was good advice for a perfect fit. The Marine Mk 2 - same. It still quite fitted, even sizing up, and suitable for wearing under a jacket or parka or whatever. It means they are heavy and warm but they're not overly bulky, as such.

It is a minor issue but I also have to give NSC credit for really beautiful packaging and quick shipping.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, will have to check out Guideboat.

Speaking of North Sea Clothing, I purchased a Marine Mk 2 in Navy in their winter sale. Half price from £160 to £80.

I have a Submariner from them which is a staple of my winter wardrobe and, if anything, I would say that the finish on the Marine Mk 2 is even nicer. The cable knit is really beautiful.

I am a size 42 in a suit jacket, and generally a size large in most items. North Sea Clothing is quite fitted and the recommendation given to me for my first purchase was possibly to go up a size to 44. I did that with the Submariner and found that it was good advice for a perfect fit. The Marine Mk 2 - same. It still quite fitted, even sizing up, and suitable for wearing under a jacket or parka or whatever. It means they are heavy and warm but they're not overly bulky, as such.

It is a minor issue but I also have to give NSC credit for really beautiful packaging and quick shipping.
I, too, have only good things to say about NSC - beautiful product, well made and a nice and professional company to deal with (and, as you note, the packaging is wonderful, I love the bag they come with and keep mine stored in them).

The only issue is that they are so heavy, so well made that I can only wear mine in very, very cold weather. That's were Guideboat's is proven great as it is slightly less heavy, so I can wear it in slightly less cold weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.