Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 216 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
It will be most interesting to see how this thread unfolds with use. Many times we on the portly side of life are made fun of by members who are not. So I for one am grateful that we will have a place to fit in on.Since Ask Andy has a good reputation for mens clothing and fashion forum. Generally with the Forum, guys are treated with respect and dignity here. It is my hope that will happen with this thread as well. Thanks for starting it JMW.

I love the discussion about pleats because I stopped wearing them and converted to plain fronts. but never thought about the reverse ones. I will have see what I can find.

· Registered
919 Posts
I am not fat! I'm big boned.:icon_smile_big:

I'm with you that we can't indulge in most of what is discussed on this board. That being said the mtm and bespoke threads are extremely helpful. I've pretty much given up on otr as the fit just isn't there.

Although it gets mentioned the importance of someone who is good at mtm is not stressed enough. I get my mtm pants from Mike at Simon's Menswear because he gets clothes to fit me like nobody else.

The pants are high waisted, pleated and have buttons for braces. The pleats just make the pants work better (I don't care nor do I agree that they add lbs.) The higher waist covers your gut and reduces slippage, though not as much as the braces do.:idea: Also, the higher rise means you don't need xlong ties (6'2" here).

Jeans - I don't wear them.

Scarves - I just keeping trolling until I find one 6' or longer.

Shoes - If you're not a D it's a chore. Just keep plugging away.

· Registered
194 Posts
I would like to try MTM or even Bespoke, but, at the moment, I'm not able to. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to buy some of my things Bespoke. When I used to look for coats I would try sizes like 60L which have shoulders that are much too big and sleeves that are inches too long. I decided to try a 56 and, to my surprise, it fit great. The shoulders didn't fit exactly how I wanted but the sleeve length seemed to be about perfect.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Issues

OK now that we have this thread going, let's get down to the issues of fit:

1. Socks: I am tired of socks that bite into my calves. When I buy "big man's" socks they are bigger at the top which stops them from biting into my legs, but they must be made to fit a size 14 foot because the heal of the big socks are up the back of my heels of my size 11's. Alternative is to wear regular sized socks but not pull them up. Of course this means that there is exposed skin showing between my pants cuff and sock when I sit, which is not desirable. Anyone find a solution to this?

2. Pants Legs: After sitting, I stand up to find that the legs of my trousers look like they are twisted around my legs, making the pants legs appear too short and the inner cuff higher than the outter side of the cuff. The pants just do not hang right. It is as if the fabric gets bunched up in my crotch while I sit. If I flex my legs like I start to squat, it releases the fabric and they then hang correctly. This is many of my trousers, not just one in particular. Any ideas?

3. After I sit for a while, my wool trousers have wrinkles across the front. Anybody else have this problem?

· Registered
104 Posts
Example of Well Tailored Suit

Follow this link and look at April 28. The picture is an example of using many design elements to create a very clean look on a large man.

https://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html

Obviously, this gentleman had his suit made for him. Some of the design elements can be achieve with MTM. See my previous post. Also, the size of the trouser leg at the ankle is larger than you might see on OTR trousers. This provides a better look.

· Registered
114 Posts
6'4", 250lbs, trying to lose more. I've recently bought a 48L blazer and I buy 17.5x36 shirts. I've ALWAYS worn my pants such that my belly hangs over. Right now, a 39" waist would be best because a 40" drops and the pockets on a 38 kinda push out.

Honestly, I don't think any clothes that I've bought look great on my because of the pants and the belly. I find stuff that looks acceptable on me by buying tall sized shirts. My work wear on is on the casual side of business casual (I'm an IT guy working for a medical equipment company), but I still like to look decent.

I don't own wool trousers, but I've noticed the wrinkling across the front of my "well fitting" 40" cotton pants. I've dropped 50 pounds over the past couple years and have really noticed that clothes look better on me. I'm convinced that getting rid of my belly will greatly help me out. Yes, knees hurt when I run. Elliptical machine has been feeling better to me recently.

· Registered
585 Posts
Bears of the World Unite!

I'm a self-identified "bear", and quite proud of it. The "Minotaur" moniker only refers to being half man and half beast (you DO NOT want to watch me eat! :eek: ).

It's taken me a long time to get to this point of being comfortable and proud of myself. And I find other husky and bearish men very attractive, as long as they are groomed and dressed well. Preferably with some solidness and muscle. There is a difference between a healthy and fit "bhh" (big handsome husband) and a slovenly fat guy who just stepped out of "Sloppy's T*tty Bar & Grill".

I work out too (weight train) pretty strenuously. I'm not a bodybuilder, never will be, don't want to be. I don't like the ripped look; give me some fat padding. I'm not a powerlifter only because never having competed I can't claim that title. However, I train like a powerlifter and look like one...

5'5"; 228-230 lbs; 17 1/2" neck, but for shirts I need to button the collar, they must be 18-18 1/2; 33 sleeve; 48-50 jacket; 42 waist; 26" thighs; 17" biceps, cold-flexed.

Yesterday my brother-in-law said "hey, you're getting fat". I said "Yeah I know, thanks. I've been trying to put on weight". He said "huh!?" I told him it was my lifting routine (a 5x5 bulk and strength routine). He shrugged and said "ohhhh-k!" I really have little intention of trying to lose my size, even my "bear belly". "Bear" as in Ursus arctos horribilis - Grizzly bear; not Budweiser, as some people misread.

As for finding clothes, this is one of the reasons I shop Men's Wearhouse. I also shop Casual Male XL. Yes, I find slacks with that extra "give" in the waist. My goal is actually to get to 240-250lbs and keep my waist to no more than 42-43". Unhealthy? Not really. Sure, I'm on metformin for insulin resistance (A1c is perfect @ 5.6 :icon_smile: ), and my blood lipids are always slightly out of whack, but it doesn't matter how much I weigh: it's always that way. One can be fat and fit (and I don't mind using the word "fat"). I don't run, but I mountain bike in season, and I like to walk.

I like being "husky"... "huskular". ;)

· Registered
585 Posts
I border on big guy also. 5"10", 210 lbs. I better go out for a run.
Go for a run??? Think about your poor knees instead!! You can have a serious problem in the near future. Much better is mountain bike from this point of view.
Indeed. My sports chiro is not a fan of running for anyone. He recommends walking. I ran years ago. I even completed the 1998 Marine Corps Marathon @ 185 lbs. It didn't take long, however, to fall out of running as I began to gain weight. Knees and hips take a pounding @ 230 lbs.

Extra Long Bow ties to fit those 20" necks
And neckties. I usually find myself doing a Four-in-Hand (which I like anyway), because even a Half Windsor leaves too little of the narrow end to tuck into the loop or label.

I am not fat! I'm big boned.:icon_smile_big:
Nonsense! Thin is in, but fat is where it's at! :icon_smile_big:

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Frank, I've seen your pictures and you are being quite modest! I would maybe describe you are burly or muscular, but I would certainly not think of you as being overweight, though. (I also cringe at the thought of wrestling with you or truly upsetting you. You're a big guy!!!)

(I could lift weights for 15 years and not get a third of your muscle.)

Your size does create some challenges in finding clothes, but you seem to find stuff that fits you and look good, at least from your pictures.

· Registered
585 Posts
Frank, I've seen your pictures and you are being quite modest! I would maybe describe you are burly or muscular, but I would certainly not think of you as being overweight, though. (I also cringe at the thought of wrestling with you or truly upsetting you. You're a big guy!!!)

(I could lift weights for 15 years and not get a third of your muscle.)

Your size does create some challenges in finding clothes, but you seem to find stuff that fits you and look good, at least from your pictures.
By powerlifting physique standards, no, I'm not very overweight. ;)

Check your PM for some relatively recent pics. I won't post them here: one is in a very brief speedo, the other is in gym shorts, barechested. You'll notice some padding on me. :p Use your own discretion when and where you open them.

Side note... yes, even at my height I have scared some people.

1. A woman who ran a Yield sign and almost hit me got, well watch this and imagine a smaller version of the guy as me:

(work safe).

2. One day, without realizing what I had done, I was dressed in black sweatpants, a black mock turtleneck zip up shirt, dark blue nylon/poly windbreaker-type jacket, and a black baseball cap. At the mall I could not understand why I was getting nervous looks, as I stood outside stores waiting for my partner. I tended to lean up against the walls and cross my arms. When I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror I realized: "Oh! SWAT or Spec Ops" :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
5,852 Posts
My sports chiro is not a fan of running for anyone. He recommends walking. I ran years ago. I even completed the 1998 Marine Corps Marathon @ 185 lbs. It didn't take long, however, to fall out of running as I began to gain weight. Knees and hips take a pounding @ 230 lbs.
Good advice.

I'm in the same boat; ran 4 marathons back when I weighed under 200, hurt a knee playing basketball, had surgery, and then got more into weight training; gave up running as weight went over 200. Tried to get back into it a few years ago, ran a couple of 20Ks, some 10-milers, and a slew of 10Ks, but it took too much of a toll on the knees.

I do like to walk, however. Last year, to add a bit of challenge, I started using a 16-lb weight belt I got online from Title Boxing, and sometimes will add a knapsack weighted to about 20 lbs.

If the weather is nice, I will walk about 4 miles w/ that, up and down hills in my neighborhood; if not so nice, I go up and down the 48 steps of my condo building for 10 to 15 circuits.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
The weight belt and backpack are great ideas. Arm and/or ankle weights are horrible ideas. They can cause a lot of joint damage.
I had first acquired a 20-lb VersaFit belt from Power Systems, but it tends to slip down on my hips, so I use it to add a challenge to step-ups and lunges done with a medicine ball, rather than for long-range walking or extended stair-climbing. I was wearing it for dips, too, until elbow trouble forced me to lay off those:

The Title Boxing belt stays up where it should, however, around navel level. A very comfortable and well-designed piece of equipment. Handy for adding resistance to pullups, too:

https://store.titleboxing.com/adjustable-10-weight-belt.html

An added benefit of these belts is that they almost unconsciously force you to use good posture and keep your abs somewhat tensed in a kind of "plank" position where you are drawing your navel in towards your spine and standing tall, very good for the lower back and core.

· Registered
332 Posts
Same boat (more or less) right down to the football.

No affiliation with any companies listed below. Very satisified with results though.

Suits/Odd Jackets/Pants: English American Tailoring (Actually a TJ factory outlet). https://www.englishamericanco.com/

Jeans: Diamond Gusset Jeans Best fitting jeans I've ever worn in my life. https://www.gussetclothing.com/bigmens.html

Belts: Look in Red Wing Stores (yes, the boot maker) across the US. You can occasionally be lucky. Also recommended on one of the on-line forums, but with no personal use yet, Leather Good Connection will custom make belts to your style, color and size. https://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/index.html

Long Ties: Have used in the past:
https://www.bigshotneckwear.com/
https://stores.ebay.com/JPaulBrentUSAFineSilkTiesCufflinks_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

However, the quality in this size category is Sam Hober--the best place for highest quality ties. No competitors in quality in this class! I just wish he carried some wool ties as well. Long delay for delivery--but well worth it.

Wide Shoes: Mainly AE, some from Paul Minor (not AE's quality, but they fit.) Personally, I've gone bespoke and don't plan on looking back for dress shoes.

Over Coats: Only ones I can find that fit are custom-made by TJ

Underwear: I just loaded up on Jockey (Tall 3XL) T-Shirts, but they don't make shorts in my size. Jockey outlet store in Leesburg, VA.

Best On-line stores for Big Guys: Rochestor Clothing, Westport (seconded):aportnoy:

Best brick and mortar Big Guys store: Austins (Timonium, MD and Fairfax, VA) (seconded):aportnoy:

· Registered
37 Posts
Gents,

First off let me say thank you for all the suggestions. Its pleasantly surprising to see more than a few men of size in here and learn of places they acquire clothing. Hopefully this will grow as time goes on as finding new sources is always a treat. Coming in at 6'5 and 260 pounds, I can indeed empathize in terms of searching for the "Grail" of quality off the rack items for those of us a bit larger than the societal norm.

For me its even a bit trickier with suits, as my ideal weight of 250 still has me in a 50-52 jacket but a 38 waist. It's made off the rack pert near impossible....it has however given me some justification for continuing to eat rather well, and not worry about the extra 2 inches on my mid section :icon_smile_big:

While I have not owned one of their suits, but have a couple sport coats and several shirts, Paul Frederick has increased their sizes dramatically over the past year. I have recently purchased a couple of sweaters, and for casual wear they are more than adequate, not to mention the pricing is very reasonable. Certainly worth looking at from time to time.

21 - 40 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.