Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Look for something long enough that it can be tucked in, or at least doesn't expose yourself when you reach down to tie your shoes. I have good luck with RL Polo, Lacoste and even (if you're really on a budget) Old Navy. Don't ever buy full price at the start of the season, buy 70% off at the end of the prior season. I've picked up Lacoste at the outlet for 49.99 and Polo at the HBC for under 35. Canadian money.

Seriously, I avoid buying a polo shirt at the extreme upper price range like an Armani or Versace shirt. For me, a polo is utilitarian, with the design being similar to a sports shirt. A polo shirt is not a replacement for a dress shirt, you can't even wear a tie with it, and you definitely shouldn't be wearing one for work, except as a replacement for a tee shirt. I remember in high school, GAP was a prestige brand, with a few of us wearing RL Polo. The good brands, Lacoste and Polo tend to be of better quality and have longer lifespans than the Old Navy or GAP brands. I care more about things like, "Can it be replaced if I spill pizza sauce on it" or "Does this mean I'm spending money I don't really have to spend?". If the answer is, "Yes I can replace it" and "Yes, I have the ready cash to buy it", I would consider it.

Keep in mind Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic are all the same company. It would not shock me if they were made in similar factories with similar materials.

I also have good luck with the Izod sportswear labels. They're inexpensive at discount shops.

I don't have local access to a BB. Somebody else can comment on their durability.

My suggestion is to buy the most practical option. Like I said, Lacoste and Polo RL are more expensive, but they're really better shirts. I suppose it's a trade off, cost versus space in a closet.

I found the Arnold Palmer brand to be particularly poor quality. The material is too thin, the pocket too flimsy and the buttons too fragile.

Also, look for things like a decent hem on the shirt. Some shirts show wear very quickly where you are tucking it in. Especially things like the Walmart brand or the (Protocol) Sears brand. Now, I avoid buying clothing at Walmart (they seem to have an odd coating) and the local Sears closed so perhaps it's a case of market forces permitting better quality products to form.

· Registered
190 Posts
I second the advice to never buy a polo at full price. But that may be because I wear/treat them like most people do tshirts today so I really dont want to spend much on them. Things to consider, besides price, include;
Fabric (jersey or pique) - which should usually also decide the arm style (open or banded).
Fit naturally depends on your build and PRL covers this pretty well.
Collar & number of buttons on placket. Those kent wang ones have a wide spread collar.
Length - the Lacoste are even all the way around the hem and in my experience never stay tucked in. On the other hand, PRL have extra long fabric in the back which is great for tucking in, but looks strange untucked.

Decent no-labels available at JCrew. Striped collar variation through Fred Perry. Nicklaus-era golf style via Criquet...whatever you do dont wear a golf branded synthetic anywhere besides the course!
Good luck!

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
Lately I've been loving polo shirts for their versatility. I even wear them under cardigans or shawl-cardigans in winter.

I prefer polos that look nice tucked or untucked, so nothing too long or too short.

I bought Spier & Mackay's shirt collar polo shirt and like it quite a bit. The collar looks a bit more like a spread collar dress shirt, but it's still soft and floppy. Longer points than a regular polo shirt too.

It was also relatively cheap, which is the most important factor for me.

Oh! Also...don't throw them in the dryer, just hang dry them. That alone will help the collar maintain its shape.

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,176 Posts
Polos are my go-to summer shirt and I have a pile of them. Personally, I favor LE pima cotton for light weight and Duluth trading for a beefier hand. Neither one is particularly expensive, especially if you watch for sales.

However, I always insist on the ones with a pocket to carry my reading glasses around in.

· Registered
66 Posts
LL Bean's are my go-to. I can always find them at the local outlet for less than $20. They don't fit like tents as they used to. I don't mind LE but the blue ring inside the collar of every shirt is silly.

I own one Lacoste polo from a few years back, a complete waste of money. The fabric is thin, it feels inferior to LL Bean's offering.

· Registered
744 Posts
Brooks Brothers or RL are my best quality polos. I have a Southern Tide polo which is nice

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a lot of recommendations for lacoste above, while I personally love the fit of their products, I find that the material seems to be very thin and it seems to show wear after only a few washes. Are there any polos with a similar fit but better quality?

· Registered
275 Posts
Sunspel's classic polo and their Riviera polo are both nice, although pricing seems have increased in recent years. The quality of the cotton is very high but they're also a little temperamental and wash instructions must be studiously observed unless you want to ruin the fit.

Gant polos probably have the best all round fit on me, and the quality is good for the price. There's something robust about them and they hold up well for several summers. They are often to be had at a reduced price during sales, as noted by posters above. On sunny holidays they are my go-to wardrobe item along with a decent pair of tailored shorts.

I also want to mention direct-to-buyer Swedish outfit Asket. I have two of their polos and they are like a budget version of Sunspel. Also Egyptian cotton (although not as nice), and good quality buttons and attention to detail. Approximately half the price, which is nice. I appreciate the lack of branding on the chest, which I always feel makes them a better option if you want to try dressing the polo up a bit.

Over the years I have just given up on buying very cheap polos from the likes of Gap, they end up shapeless or just looking dingy after even a few washes.

· Registered
1,117 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
I was recently forced to buy new polos aswell as my old RL won't make it through another summer.

I really liked the idea of getting lacoste, because they are sort of the "original", so I went to the store and it turns out they are cut really long.
If you're tall or always keep them tucked in that won't be an issue, but since I don't always tuck them, especially with shorts, that was a dealbraker for me.
So I ended up with RL again. The quality is decent, my last ones lasted me about 9 years (in a rotation of three, so lots of wash cycles)

They have cuts to suit almost everyone, and still come with tennis tails which for some are mandatory while others hate them.
Featurewise I'd say there's not much to polos. Some like pockets, some don't.
For the fit I personally like them to be on the slimmer side - not compression slim but, contrary to pretty much everything else in the trad closet, close to the body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.