Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Another question: would someone like me also look better in regular button down shirts as opposed to a mock neck shirt in cold weather? Or like polo shirts do they look better on slim, fit, and muscular guys, of which I am neither.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Another question: would someone like me also look better in regular button down shirts as opposed to a mock neck shirt in cold weather? Or like polo shirts do they look better on slim, fit, and muscular guys, of which I am neither.
You should wear what you like. But you asked for our thoughts about which kind of top you would look better in.

If you are going to avoid wearing polo shirts because they would accentuate your non-slim, non-fit, and non-muscular build, then you should also abstain from wearing a mock-neck shirt…or any other type of clingy shirt. Go with a button-front shirt; doing so will give you one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Completely agree with the earlier sentiments. Regardless of polo, button down, or camp shirt, if one is trying to minimize a tummy keeping a shirt untucked more often than not helps. Akin to suiting, I think a broadly applicable rule of thumb is that if the item of clothing, suits or shirts, "pulls" horizontally (e.g., the dreaded "X" on a too-tight buttoned jacket)), it's too tight.

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
I would imagine some of these questions you have about shirt types could be answered by a mirror. Do you have one, or do you not trust it? I think your best bet is a standard shirt, such as a dress shirt, well pressed with a prominent collar that stands up and is pressed/starched in such a way that when the top button is left undone the shirt almost closes up. What this says is, while the body may be a bit on the slobby side, what you've chosen to cover it with is anything but. And this can go a long way toward making a finished impression.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts