Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Are you like, dying to wear polos? Maybe pass up that dream and go with the button ups. Now, just what sort of person in your circle thinks a button up is too dressed up, and then tells you so to your face? (I just cut my little meadow today, in a button down button up*)

My eye only, but polos are marginally unattractive on just about everybody, and yet there are threads all over the forums asking/telling about them, which one is best, what colors look good, what's the best fabric --- who cares, after a single wash they all
look the sh*ts, all loosey and the collar ends turn up and they're a bitch to iron, so just get one at WalMart, call it a day and resign yourself (not you particularly, but anybody) to belly bulge, nipple poke and sweat soak (because the arm holes are always too tight).

Exceptions to this are rare, but there are a couple. They can look passable in summer beneath a linen or cotton unstructured jacket. And the retro versions with banded, elasticized bottoms and sleeves can be interesting. Blair.com is the big purveyor of those. I have a few.

*The meadow runs by a road where in the summer there is what passes for traffic, mostly Jersey and New York license plates with big, over priced SUVs attached and as they glance they see an erect old guy in a done-up button up with rolled sleeves and khakis pushing a gasoline mower down a long strip, then turning himself, not the mower, and pulling the thing back up the adjacent looong strip and so on and on, but what they don't see is an old guy in a sweaty Polo with his fat ass plopped on a rider which, here in Maine, in order to get a riding mower license, you have to have, a fat ass and a polo.

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
+1 on wearing the hot weather shirt untucked.
This is where the banded (elasticized bottom) polo, mentioned by some sharp eyed person above, comes in. Keeps the untucked bottom neat, tho tends to ride up if not sized correctly. (Part of my distaste for polos is based on a lack of desire to pull stuff on and off over my head, except for the occasional satanic ritual chasuble.)

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
If this is you, you look great.
It's not. Read the post more carefully.
But, to OP, stop trying to look like the guys in ads. We're different shapes and sizes. More productive trying to look the best for who you are;.
There's nothing about his post that says he's trying to look like guys in ads. He posted the pic to show the style of polo he's looking for. Why so patronizing?

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
I would imagine some of these questions you have about shirt types could be answered by a mirror. Do you have one, or do you not trust it? I think your best bet is a standard shirt, such as a dress shirt, well pressed with a prominent collar that stands up and is pressed/starched in such a way that when the top button is left undone the shirt almost closes up. What this says is, while the body may be a bit on the slobby side, what you've chosen to cover it with is anything but. And this can go a long way toward making a finished impression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts