Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have a bit of a gut like me, do you find that you look better in a typical polo shirt or a regular button down shirt? I'm starting to think I don't look good in a polo and people I know tell I look too dressed up. They seem to work better on muscular and slimmer guys. The picture attached is the style I'm thinking of trying out (obviously I'm not as slim as the model).
Clothing Outerwear Product Dress shirt Neck

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Are you like, dying to wear polos? Maybe pass up that dream and go with the button ups. Now, just what sort of person in your circle thinks a button up is too dressed up, and then tells you so to your face? (I just cut my little meadow today, in a button down button up*)

My eye only, but polos are marginally unattractive on just about everybody, and yet there are threads all over the forums asking/telling about them, which one is best, what colors look good, what's the best fabric --- who cares, after a single wash they all
look the sh*ts, all loosey and the collar ends turn up and they're a bitch to iron, so just get one at WalMart, call it a day and resign yourself (not you particularly, but anybody) to belly bulge, nipple poke and sweat soak (because the arm holes are always too tight).

Exceptions to this are rare, but there are a couple. They can look passable in summer beneath a linen or cotton unstructured jacket. And the retro versions with banded, elasticized bottoms and sleeves can be interesting. Blair.com is the big purveyor of those. I have a few.

*The meadow runs by a road where in the summer there is what passes for traffic, mostly Jersey and New York license plates with big, over priced SUVs attached and as they glance they see an erect old guy in a done-up button up with rolled sleeves and khakis pushing a gasoline mower down a long strip, then turning himself, not the mower, and pulling the thing back up the adjacent looong strip and so on and on, but what they don't see is an old guy in a sweaty Polo with his fat ass plopped on a rider which, here in Maine, in order to get a riding mower license, you have to have, a fat ass and a polo.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I agree with Vespa. I much prefer loose, camp-collar shirts (Manila shirts, as we called them in another part of the world) that have square tails and are meant to be worn outside rather than tucked in. In light-coloured cotton or linen, these shirts are very comfortable on hot days. I have quite a few polos as well, and have always thought they looked fine on me. If they make you look like you have a bit too much tummy, you could probably wear them tucked in. But then the comfort of a loose shirt worn outside is absent. The other solution, if you are dead set on wearing polos, is to go a size or two larger, and have them be loose overall.

The gut problem seems to have disappeared for me, and not due to any great effort on my part. It was mainly because of a low-carb, low-sugar diet I have been under for a while, and a diabetes medication I was put on recently (Ozempic). At 5'-7", I am now at 140 lbs, a weight I was last at in 1990! And my latest A1c number (6.4) has put me below the diabetes range, which has made my endocrinologist positively delirious. One hopes things will stay that way, but of course, one never knows. That's the beauty of life in your seventies, LOL.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,185 Posts
I agree with Vespa. I much prefer loose, camp-collar shirts (Manila shirts, as we called them in another part of the world) that have square tails and are meant to be worn outside rather than tucked in. In light-coloured cotton or linen, these shirts are very comfortable on hot days. I have quite a few polos as well, and have always thought they looked fine on me. If they make you look like you have a bit too much tummy, you could probably wear them tucked in. But then the comfort of a loose shirt worn outside is absent. The other solution, if you are dead set on wearing polos, is to go a size or two larger, and have them be loose overall.

The gut problem seems to have disappeared for me, and not due to any great effort on my part. It was mainly because of a low-carb, low-sugar diet I have been under for a while, and a diabetes medication I was put on recently (Ozempic). At 5'-7", I am now at 140 lbs, a weight I was last at in 1990! And my latest A1c number has put me below the diabetes range, which has made my endocrinologist positively delirious. One hopes things will stay that way, but of course, one never knows. That's the beauty of life in your seventies, LOL.
+1 on wearing the hot weather shirt untucked. I was afraid to include that lest I be berated by the "we must have standards" folk. After all, this is not the Trad forum where quirky affectations (often associated with the way many preps wear their clothing) are more common!

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
+1 on wearing the hot weather shirt untucked.
This is where the banded (elasticized bottom) polo, mentioned by some sharp eyed person above, comes in. Keeps the untucked bottom neat, tho tends to ride up if not sized correctly. (Part of my distaste for polos is based on a lack of desire to pull stuff on and off over my head, except for the occasional satanic ritual chasuble.)

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
For those of you who have a bit of a gut like me, do you find that you look better in a typical polo shirt or a regular button down shirt? I'm starting to think I don't look good in a polo and people I know tell I look too dressed up. They seem to work better on muscular and slimmer guys. The picture attached is the style I'm thinking of trying out (obviously I'm not as slim as the model).
View attachment 87539
If this is you, you look great.

Polos are comfortable, but they accentuate one's middle. A button down, or better still a linen shirt with a camp collar and rolled up sleeves, is more comfortable and looks pretty good on most folks if worn a tiny bit loose.
+1! (y)

But, to OP, stop trying to look like the guys in ads. We're different shapes and sizes. More productive trying to look the best for who you are;.

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
If this is you, you look great.
It's not. Read the post more carefully.
But, to OP, stop trying to look like the guys in ads. We're different shapes and sizes. More productive trying to look the best for who you are;.
There's nothing about his post that says he's trying to look like guys in ads. He posted the pic to show the style of polo he's looking for. Why so patronizing?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Are you like, dying to wear polos? Maybe pass up that dream and go with the button ups. Now, just what sort of person in your circle thinks a button up is too dressed up, and then tells you so to your face? (I just cut my little meadow today, in a button down button up*)

My eye only, but polos are marginally unattractive on just about everybody, and yet there are threads all over the forums asking/telling about them, which one is best, what colors look good, what's the best fabric --- who cares, after a single wash they all
look the sh*ts, all loosey and the collar ends turn up and they're a bitch to iron, so just get one at WalMart, call it a day and resign yourself (not you particularly, but anybody) to belly bulge, nipple poke and sweat soak (because the arm holes are always too tight).

Exceptions to this are rare, but there are a couple. They can look passable in summer beneath a linen or cotton unstructured jacket. And the retro versions with banded, elasticized bottoms and sleeves can be interesting. Blair.com is the big purveyor of those. I have a few.

*The meadow runs by a road where in the summer there is what passes for traffic, mostly Jersey and New York license plates with big, over priced SUVs attached and as they glance they see an erect old guy in a done-up button up with rolled sleeves and khakis pushing a gasoline mower down a long strip, then turning himself, not the mower, and pulling the thing back up the adjacent looong strip and so on and on, but what they don't see is an old guy in a sweaty Polo with his fat ass plopped on a rider which, here in Maine, in order to get a riding mower license, you have to have, a fat ass and a polo.
Yeossal makes some great long sleeve polo shirts with collars that maintain their shape, and the polos don't shrink either. They are not cheap, but worth it considering I haven't found anything else like them on the market.

I specifically bought the type of polo below to be worn with sports coats and casual suits.

If you only want short sleeve polos and don't mind yearly sizing consistencies, Spier & Mackay makes some polos with decent collars that maintain shape, and are 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yeossal makes some great long sleeve polo shirts with collars that maintain their shape, and the polos don't shrink either. They are not cheap, but worth it considering I haven't found anything else like them on the market.

I specifically bought the type of polo below to be worn with sports coats and casual suits.

If you only want short sleeve polos and don't mind yearly sizing consistencies, Spier & Mackay makes some polos with decent collars that maintain shape, and are 1/3 the price.
Great pair of trousers, my friend! I love the cut and the single pleat.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Great pair of trousers, my friend! I love the cut and the single pleat.
I don't think that's him. He's not holding a pink cell phone. (Or is that you, @delicious_scent, and you've invested in a tri pod?)
Woops, I should clarify, those are official pictures from Yeossal that I used.

I am having a suit made with single forward pleats, will post pictures once I get it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
At first, I thought it was something like "Yowza!", a very strange exclamation that some folks have been known to employ to indicate an emotion that I have still not understood.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
See, I assumed someone else took a picture of him, like in ancient times, when there was this thing called a camera...
I never did like formally taken pictures or selfies. I've started telling people to take candids of me when I'm not aware that something is being pointed at me.
What is Yeossal, besides the sound my cat makes when I step on its tail (by mistake of course of course)?
According to The Google, it is a men's tailor in Singapore. When your cat says that it means "gee whillikers but that smarts," in cat of course.
Yep, this is correct. They also make safari jackets and high quality shoes.

I like their individual products, but they can be very #menswear. Some of the looks they push are bad, with poor colour pairings. See below

http://instagr.am/p/CcGEq33pvaq/
I do like this though, see below.

http://instagr.am/p/Cck1ABJJuij/
Not sure why IG no longer embeds again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polo shirts are an ideal clothing choice for casual occasions. They look great when paired with jeans, sweatpants, or shorts. You also can tuck or untuck, depending on the occasion. It can go either way. Tucking, of course, gives you a more formal look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts