Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing Polo oxford shirts since I was a young kid.
However, in the last five years or so, Polo has lost any continuity
with their sizing.

I am typically a size XL and in the past, these shirts were broad
enough in the shoulders and long enough to stay in your pants
for more than a minute.

My last half a dozen XL Polo oxfords I purchased are horribly small
in the shoulders and you cannot even attempt to keep them
tucked in your pants. In addition, they wrinkle like rag from Target.

I can't be the only person experiencing this. Has Polo gone the
way of junk? I think $80 for a weekend oxford should be plenty
to pay for a shirt and it should be sized properly and get better
with time.

I have a closet full of 10-15 year old Polo oxford shirts that are
size L and fit me perfectly today and have worn like iron.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wholly agree with this sentiment and consequently it has completely turned me off to RLP.

This is even more pronounced in their polos, when the standard L can just be wildly unpredictable and range from fitting like a M to fitting like an XL.

The lack of quality control really represents, to me at least, a change in their business model towards merely being concerned with volume.

Brooks Brothers is a better option, and the pig is less obtrusive (or at least less well recognized) than the polo man insignia.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have been wearing Polo oxford shirts since I was a young kid.
However, in the last five years or so, Polo has lost any continuity
with their sizing.

I am typically a size XL and in the past, these shirts were broad
enough in the shoulders and long enough to stay in your pants
for more than a minute.

My last half a dozen XL Polo oxfords I purchased are horribly small
in the shoulders and you cannot even attempt to keep them
tucked in your pants. In addition, they wrinkle like rag from Target.

I can't be the only person experiencing this. Has Polo gone the
way of junk? I think $80 for a weekend oxford should be plenty
to pay for a shirt and it should be sized properly and get better
with time.

I have a closet full of 10-15 year old Polo oxford shirts that are
size L and fit me perfectly today and have worn like iron.
You pay $80 for one of those?!?!

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Has Polo gone the way of junk?
If not, they're certainly nothing like they once were, but Polo isn't alone in this problem. For example, this past season Brooks was selling a Shetland button front sweater vest. Most colors had five buttons, but two had six! Same sweater!

Evidently the process whereby buyers once bought mainly from manufacturers is gone. They now buy from jobbers who buy from off-shore jobbers who place orders with whatever factories they can get the best prices from. And very often, the finished goods don't match the samples very well in either quality or sizing. Routinely anything that shifts from a western to Asian source of manufacturer gets smaller. A QC process is supposed to deal with these issues, but because of all the variables inherent in the process, it must be very stringent. When it's not, you get what you experienced.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You pay $80 for one of those?!?!
No, I don't pay $80, it just sounds much more dramatic.

I agree BB makes a better polo and oxford shirt, however, as previously discussed, they are so boxy they fit like a moo moo. Tailoring is required.

I was at the BB in Beverly Hills this last weekend and was looking at
a Country Club polo which was sharp. However, to my dismay, the
label read "Made In China." This turned me off for a $4,000.00
shirt (actualy $98.00).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I don't pay $80, it just sounds much more dramatic.

I agree BB makes a better polo and oxford shirt, however, as previously discussed, they are so boxy they fit like a moo moo. Tailoring is required.

I was at the BB in Beverly Hills this last weekend and was looking at
a Country Club polo which was sharp. However, to my dismay, the
label read "Made In China." This turned me off for a $4,000.00
shirt (actualy $98.00).
I meant "actually". :icon_smile:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I went on a rant here last year about the same thing. I bought a pocket oxford that is actually a little too big, and a Uni stripe OCBD that is much shorter(both XXL). The larger shirt is made in the Phillipines, whereas the smaller shirt is MADE IN CHINA:eek:. This makes is dang near impossible to order off the website.
I also ordered two ties recently, and one was 56" and the other 55-1/2", both shorter than the standard +-58"-60". I had to send them back, even though they were beautiful and well made:(
My theory is that maybe if the factories shorten the shirts by 3" x 1000's of shirts, think of the fabric they'll save!
OTOH, the sales lady at my local Dillard's ask me if I was going to tuck the shirt in, or wear it out. She indicated that the tales should be shorter if worn out. I never thought about that!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I picked up three Peter Millar shirts for casual wear... not terribly expensive but not cheap either... and was shocked that teh sleeve length on each shirt varied from 1/2 to 1".

That's bad quality cotrol. Not surprised that Polo has the same issue.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Brooks Brothers is a better option, and the pig is less obtrusive (or at least less well recognized) than the polo man insignia.
Pig??? I think it's pretty obviously a sheep, hence the "Golden Fleece" and "Black Fleece" lines.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Pig??? I think it's pretty obviously a sheep, hence the "Golden Fleece" and "Black Fleece" lines.
But wouldn't a pig be a lot cooler? :icon_smile_big:

The only logo'ed clothing I've ever worn was a René Lacoste polo with which I was gifted by a French exchange student. I would never think of purchasing anything with a dumb polo player or a dubious pig.

·
Registered
219 Posts
bad quality

I like ralph lauren oxfords. But I agree that mfgrs can slip in quality. It is simply incumbent upon us to try the stuff on in the store... even though it irritates the clerks when we tear the shirts apart from all those pins.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sad to hear Peter Millar is in the QC ditch along with so many. I wont buy any more RL unless its some choice purple label swag I can score off of ebay. Any label that purports to be quality and can be found in Costco is ruined in my book. I used to like the RL oxfords and the polo shirts but I think the BB polos are better and I dont like either companies oxford OCBDs anymore. They are balloons, I have no idea who they are sizing them for but you could make 3 normal fitting shirts out of two BB OBCD's even if they fit your neck and arms. I am trending towards a more fitted look with my shirts at this point anyway.

The greatest recent find I have had for OCBDs is by Guglielminotti from Italy - I can only find one seller on ebay who has a line on them and if you google them you wont find them anywhere to save your life. I can get a 15.75 collar and 34 sleeves and it fits like a glove, softer than BB or polo oxford cloth and with a button down collar.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
It looks like a dead sheep to me hanging from a hook - odd logo!
I prefer the old logo instead of the modern one with what looks like a force-fed sheep. I always thought it was an allusion to Jason and the Argonauts and the "golden fleece" but maybe I'm wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.