Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a camel hair polo coat from Brooks Bros. in the sale after Christmas. A wonderful coat. I was slightly surprised to see that it was made in Italy. Does anyone know who makes these for Brooks?

I also looked at the Ralph Lauren polo coats (incidentally, has Mr. L complained about other people using the word polo with respect to coats, or has he conceded that one along with shirts?). Coincidentally, these coats were also made in Italy. Again, does anyone have any idea who makes these? I have happy fantasies of a single factory in Milan clothing the world in camel hair.

Trilby

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got a couple of RL coats made in Italy, one camel hair and the other Alpaca. The feedback was that they were made by Corneliani. Looking forward to other member feedbacks. How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I also looked at the Ralph Lauren polo coats (incidentally, has Mr. L complained about other people using the word polo with respect to coats, or has he conceded that one along with shirts?
Say what? What could he possibly complain about or concede? Polo coats and polo shirts had been around for 30 or 40 years prior to the launch of the Polo brand name.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There actually is a point of contention between BB and RL about the use of the word "Polo" on clothing items. As it stands today, Ralph bought the trademark to the brand "Polo". However, BB owns the trademark to the word "Polo" when printed on a buttondown shirt with a buttondown collar, due to their OCBDs being referred to as the "Original Polo Buttondown". They were not willing to concede that to RL.

You will notice that whenever Ralph has a shirt with a buttondown placket and a buttondown collar, the label will simply read "Ralph Lauren", with the polo player emblem between the two names.

A "polo coat" is no different from a "polo shirt". They are both item names created by neither RL or BB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.