Men's Clothing Forums banner

[Poll] Black suit for daily business rotation?

• Yay

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 32 86.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard two conflicting opinions, and I wonder what you guys think.

One group says that black is reserved strictly for funeral, black tie event, and other very formal occasions.

The other group says that while black is less versatile than navy or charcoal, it is perfectly fine for business setting as long as shirt and tie bring some color and pattern.

Black suits - yay or nay?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
As I write this I look at the iTailor add featuring a gentleman wearing a black suit, shirt, and tie.

I think this completely exemplifies the look I would avoid. I like black clothing in the correct setting and have some black slacks, a black blazer, a black suit and quite a few black shoes. I think black can be worn in the work place and even in a business setting but carefully. Clearly there are occupations in which it is de rigueur and I am excluding this as well as entertainment professions where is can fly. As a business suit rotation I think it is very stark but can look good on high contrast complexions and indeed it is a favored color in asian markets (dark hair, fair skin). I think for most people it should be avoided so I voted no in the poll but it depends. Interestingly with the right color shirt, tie, and PS I am always surprised at how many compliments I get when I wear black.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Black suits are good for evening social. It might be OK to have one in your secondary business rotation but I wouldn't want the world to see it more than once every two weeks. And generally not for interviews but for less formal days at the office.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture, but I have to say I wore a black sports coat the other day and a guy went out of his way to say I looked "sombre."

In most businesses, it's probably best not to stick out on any way that might be perceived as negative.

In the land of the blind, best be ready to pluck your eyes out.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture, but I have to say I wore a black sports coat the other day and a guy went out of his way to say I looked "sombre."

In most businesses, it's probably best not to stick out on any way that might be perceived as negative.

My father taught me the 'black suit is only for an undertaker' rule when I was growing up in the 1990s. It was something he was taught from a young age too, so this attitude is not of recent manufacture.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I've heard two conflicting opinions, and I wonder what you guys think.

One group says that black is reserved strictly for funeral, black tie event, and other very formal occasions.

There are those among us who would say even black tie attire should should exclude a black tux. Midnight navy is preferred.

Navy is a good choice for a funeral.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture...
Brooks Brothers did not even offer solid black suits as RTW until sometime early this century. Cringing at the thought that their establishment caved to the fashion desires of the young and ignorant, the older and most knowledgeable sales clerks still scoff at them.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts

What do you mean by "recent?"

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I talked to someone today who has been in the retail men's clothing business for 50 years. He told me that about 5 years ago black was a favored color for suits as well as black sports jackets. Now he says charcoal gray is the number one color and he doesn't even have a black sports jacket in his store. So thats just another data point. I would have thought navy was the most popular color!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.