Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering using a poket watch in my waistcoat when I wear a three piece (about seven or eight times a month),but I'm not sure if I have the chutzpah to pull it off.Any words of encouragement (or criticizms of the idea)?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Go for it! I think a pocket watch and chain on a waistcoat is pretty classy looking, as long as you can forget about it and look like you were born to it; i.e., don't make an obvious spectacle of pulling it out in front of an audience to check the time (except as a joke) - with that, you'd risk looking like a costume piece.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's me wearing mine.

Having been a railroad trainman and conductor for many years gave me my basic training for wearing same.

Don't worry...just wear the thing. People will come up to you and ask questions. WARNING: People like to tug on the chain or the chain's charm which can be quite annoying. When I was in train service and a passenger did that to me I would say,"Carefull..That'll make my socks come down."

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I wear one when ever possible, but it isn't that often. I should wear it more.

Also makes a nice display.

If you dwell in middle class and up they are nice, but they might be seen as too much flaunting if you are in rougher parts of town. They're far better than wrist watches, digital things, lanyards, etc. Silver chains play the showmanship down a little, gold is flashier.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone!I'll do it tomorrow.Mitchell,love the chain (as well as everything else you're wearing)!

Here's me wearing mine.

Having been a railroad trainman and conductor for many years gave me my basic training for wearing same.

Don't worry...just wear the thing. People will come up to you and ask questions. WARNING: People like to tug on the chain or the chain's charm which can be quite annoying. When I was in train service and a passenger did that to me I would say,"Carefull..That'll make my socks come down."

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go for it! I think a pocket watch and chain on a waistcoat is pretty classy looking, as long as you can forget about it and look like you were born to it; i.e., don't make an obvious spectacle of pulling it out in front of an audience to check the time (except as a joke) - with that, you'd risk looking like a costume piece.
I'll be sure to check the time only when I use the restroom.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I'll be sure to check the time only when I use the restroom.:icon_smile_big:
If someone asks you the time in the restroom, they don't really want to know the time...

I think it's funny that a hundred years ago Cartier designed the first men's wristwatch for aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont so that he could know what time it was without having to pull a watch out of his pocket.

These days, younger people are not wearing wristwatches because they have a clock on their cell phones - which they have to pull out of their pocket.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also don't forget that you don't have to wear a waistcoat to wear a pocket watch - I occasionally wear mine in my suit breast pocket with the full Albert draped from the lapel buttonhole. If challenged I explain that it's a security device for the handkerchief.

There is also a 3rd way pictured here.

I have just picked one up on Ebay and don't know yet whether it is wearable - probably not with a suit but maybe a tweed or bush jacket though I'm concerned it may look a tad affected. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It should definitely be done... I rushed out of the house on Sunday without my watch and chain on, such was my hurry, and I am so acclimatised to wearing them that I didn't feel fully dressed!

I too favour the occasional wearing of a watch in the top pocket, although I have a plaited leather strap or short silver fancy chain for mine:

·
Registered
66 Posts
How about using watch pockets on pants? Every pair of Levis I have has one. They'll take a 16 but not an 18 size watch. Some dress trousers have a watch pocket, especially if you told the tailor to put one there for you; and in a pinch I'll put one in a regular pocket, chain to a belt loop and nothing else in the pocket to avoid scratching the watch.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Also don't forget that you don't have to wear a waistcoat to wear a pocket watch - I occasionally wear mine in my suit breast pocket with the full Albert draped from the lapel buttonhole. If challenged I explain that it's a security device for the handkerchief.

There is also a 3rd way pictured here.

I have just picked one up on Ebay and don't know yet whether it is wearable - probably not with a suit but maybe a tweed or bush jacket though I'm concerned it may look a tad affected. We'll see.
That item was used by streetcar men and bus drivers in the days when they had to carry a "Traffic Special," pocket watch. CTA guys used them a lot. I had one but one runs the risk of breaking the watch's crystal quite easily.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think pocket watches are a bit of an affection and not very practical, but they are fun. I have three 3 piece suits that I like to wear when the weather cooperates. One of them is even a tan Summer suit and I wear the vest in the Spring and Fall.

I would like a nice vintage pocket watch, but as I have not found one within my budget, I bought one from Amazon for under $30.00. I thought that was a good idea to see if I like wearing one and I found that on some occasions that I do.

Amazon has a pretty good selection of quartz pocket watches at modest prices and I expect some other sources do also. Mine has a cover to protect the crystal, but I think if I get another it will be without the cover.

I have read that prior to the First World War that wrist watches were considered somewhat feminine and were not very popular for men and that view changed during or after The War. I am not sure exactly why - perhaps the ease of reading a wrist watch in comparison to a pocket watch or maybe the uniforms did not have a watch pocket or it could be some other reason.

It is a sad note that we have to number wars. To those of us of a certain age, 'The War' will always be WW ll, but I guess that would be different for other generations. If we counted all of the ones the World had in the past century, we might have to use scientific notation.

Please excuse me for wandering off topic - lets talk about watches - that is more fun.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I did it and got several elongated looks from the ladies ...
I hope that means several longing looks, or perhaps extended glances, and not long faces. Could a pocket watch create a long face on an observer?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have read that prior to the First World War that wrist watches were considered somewhat feminine and were not very popular for men and that view changed during or after The War. I am not sure exactly why - perhaps the ease of reading a wrist watch in comparison to a pocket watch or maybe the uniforms did not have a watch pocket or it could be some other reason.
The story that I have heard is that officers in the trenches started wearing their watches on their wrists (in contrivances similar to that shown by Carlton-Browne [of the F.O.]) to assist them in timing advances, etc., a wrist watch being easier to refer to with one's hands full than a watch in a pocket.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.