Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. In the attached image, do my eyes deceive me or does Mr. Astaire have both a pocket watch and a pocket square in his breast pocket? Wanted to get your thoughts on that. (I'll be wearing my new pocket watch in a similar manner soon, I had assumed that a pocket square would be a no-go in this situation...)

Cheers,
FB

Smile Coat Dress shirt Flash photography Tie

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Hi all. In the attached image, do my eyes deceive me or does Mr. Astaire have both a pocket watch and a pocket square in his breast pocket? Wanted to get your thoughts on that. (I'll be wearing my new pocket watch in a similar manner soon, I had assumed that a pocket square would be a no-go in this situation...)

Cheers,
FB

View attachment 21052
Wearing a watch attached to the lapel and tucked in the breast pocket (or, even, just hanging from a small strap) was done by many back in his day (and you'll see nurses doing something similar for decades - see picture from "Call the Midwife" below).

Also, Astaire was both a fashion icon and a risk taker / trail blazer. For example, he would regular wear a tie in place of a belt. Hence, what he did was not always a reflection of the era's norms.

I've seen the breast pocket watch worn with and without a pocket square - all from historic pictures (never saw it done by anyone in my time which dates back to the early '80s when I entered the workforce).

I'd lean toward not doing it with the pocket square, as, I'd assume, over the course of a day, the pocket square would get askew after you took the watch in and out a bunch. Also, it would, IMHO, look too fussy.

Bigger picture, I'd also note that even without the pocket square, today, the watch-pocket-in-breast-pocket will be a look that will stand out. That's fine, if you want that and if, overall, it works for your outfit and personality. Just be aware that it is a strong look today.

Smile Sleeve Gesture Happy Fashion design

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll play around and see what works. I think I can get away with the look. If I crash and burn, I'll know for next time! :)

Wearing a watch attached to the lapel and tucked in the breast pocket (or, even, just hanging from a small strap) was done by many back in his day (and you'll see nurses doing something similar for decades - see picture from "Call the Midwife" below).

Also, Astaire was both a fashion icon and a risk taker / trail blazer. For example, he would regular wear a tie in place of a belt. Hence, what he did was not always a reflection of the era's norms.

I've seen the breast pocket watch worn with and without a pocket square - all from historic pictures (never saw it done by anyone in my time which dates back to the early '80s when I entered the workforce).

I'd lean toward not doing it with the pocket square, as, I'd assume, over the course of a day, the pocket square would get askew after you took the watch in and out a bunch. Also, it would, IMHO, look too fussy.

Bigger picture, I'd also note that even without the pocket square, today, the watch-pocket-in-breast-pocket will be a look that will stand out. That's fine, if you want that and if, overall, it works for your outfit and personality. Just be aware that it is a strong look today.

View attachment 21053

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
That's nothing, wait until I try morning dress, complete with top hat, at afternoon tea at The Plaza to celebrate my wedding anniversary in the fall.
While I agree with Fading Fast that it can be a nuisance with square and I never wear mine other than with waistcoat, though I have a braided leather fob for such purpose, I have never worn it. Having entered the workforce in my early twenties back in the early sixties and an admirer of Mr. Astaire's dress, iconic as pointed out by Fading, I find it curious how it would be considered costume by some. The same with fedoras. What I find costume and outright clownish is what passes these days as stylish/fashionable dress. Happy anniversary.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

Helen George, hopefully as sweet in real life as in the series. Lovely

View attachment 21053

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I have seen the pocket watch in the breast pocket once, as best I recall. I wouldn't wear one in that matter with or without the square. However, since the OP is also into top hats, he may be less daunted by seeming out of step. (And I thought I was a bit louche with my ascots!)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Alas, there was a time when I aspired to carry an old pocket watch, primarily to provide a reason for my getting some limited use of a watch fob once carried by my maternal grandfather. It was generally to be found carried in the left side pocket of my trousers. I never considered carrying it in my coats breast pocket. That old watch is long gone, but I think my grandfather's watch fob is still around here.....somewhere(?)! LOL. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Whenever I wear a suit these days (which isn't all that often), I usually wear one of my pocket watches in the breast pocket of the jacket. It definitely stands out! I think it is a really timeless look, which is what I prefer. However, I generally temper wearing the watch in that manner with a simple pocket square - usually a plain white linen square. At least to my eye, there is too much going on if you wear the pocket watch in such a manner with a wild or colorful pocket square.

I also used to get watch pockets sewn into the waistband of my suit trousers and dressier chinos, so I still wear pocket watches in those on occasion as well. For that purpose, I'd love to find a larger grosgrain ribbon watch fob that isn't in terrible shape, but that is a separate issue... :)

Reactions: Faux Brummell
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.