Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already got down how to match a pocket square to a tie color wise. I have a variety of silk, linen and cotton pocket squares.

Would you wear linen pocket squares ONLY with a linen suit/ jacket or also a wool one? Aside from a solid white, what about cotton, is it less than ideal to wear with a wool jacket/ suit? I ask this because I hear that it’s good to have contrast material wise between ties and ps’s.

I have two events coming up that would have me wearing my navy wool suit with a red tie (either a silk knitted or a silk woven). In this scenario would you wear a silk or linen pocket square?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Over obsessing over a pocket square is not really part of the Ivy tradition. A white linen PS goes well with everything except a white linen suit. Add a pale blue linen/cotton and a paisley silk print and you should be set for life.

Now if we really want to get into the weeds of this subject, I've heard of 2 theories of PS selection. The operative word is they are just THEORIES.
  1. Coordinate color and pattern of the PS with those of the shirt. They should not match exactly but rather complement each other.
  2. Contrast the materials of the tie and PS. e.g. if the tie is shiny silk, the PS should be matte linen or wool; and vice versa
But really, it's your wardrobe and your ensemble. I feel you'd almost have to go out of your way to pick a pocket square that absolutely clashes with the rest and therefore is 100% wrong.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Over obsessing over a pocket square is not really part of the Ivy tradition. A white linen PS goes well with everything except a white linen suit. Add a pale blue linen/cotton and a paisley silk print and you should be set for life.

Now if we really want to get into the weeds of this subject, I've heard of 2 theories of PS selection. The operative word is they are just THEORIES.
  1. Coordinate color and pattern of the PS with those of the shirt. They should not match exactly but rather complement each other.
  2. Contrast the materials of the tie and PS. e.g. if the tie is shiny silk, the PS should be matte linen or wool; and vice versa
But really, it's your wardrobe and your ensemble. I feel you'd almost have to go out of your way to pick a pocket square that absolutely clashes with the rest and therefore is 100% wrong.
Wool pocket squares are something of a rarity in my experience. In years of haunting men's stores and departments, the only ones I have seen were at Bloomingdale's a year or so ago. I bought a couple, and just by chance I happen to be wearing one at the moment. The vast majority of my squares are silk, distantly followed by cotton and linen.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wool pocket squares are something of a rarity in my experience. In years of haunting men's stores and departments, the only ones I have seen were at Bloomingdale's a year or so ago. I bought a couple, and just by chance I happen to be wearing one at the moment. The vast majority of my squares are silk, distantly followed by cotton and linen.
So your tie and ps are generally both silk?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I already got down how to match a pocket square to a tie color wise. I have a variety of silk, linen and cotton pocket squares.

Would you wear linen pocket squares ONLY with a linen suit/ jacket or also a wool one? Aside from a solid white, what about cotton, is it less than ideal to wear with a wool jacket/ suit? I ask this because I hear that it's good to have contrast material wise between ties and ps's.

I have two events coming up that would have me wearing my navy wool suit with a red tie (either a silk knitted or a silk woven). In this scenario would you wear a silk or linen pocket square?
All things equal probably silk. I think it is inherently more formal in appearance. Linen is a bit less so. I will on occasion wear a linen PS with a silk tie so I don't consider it inappropriate by any means. And not infrequently I will wear a PS with a sports jacket without a tie. I suppose thats when I find a linen PS a bit more suitable.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I hear that it's good to have contrast material wise between ties and ps's.
Perhaps, but don't sweat it-unless you happen to be really fond of the cuisine served by the rehabilitation center. You know, the place where you'll be living following the emotional collapse that is sure to ensue after worrying about such a thing.

Go simple. With a sport coat, things can get a little complicated. But with a navy suit, wear a solid white cotton pocket square. TV fold. You're done. The only problem with this ensemble is that, while dressed this way, from out of nowhere you may feel an irresistible urge to excitedly announce that Tony Randall and Carol Burnett will be right back to play the bonus round after this word from Oldsmobile. If that happens, don't worry-the feeling will vanish after exactly 60 seconds.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
^^"If that happens, don't worry-the feeling wikk vanish after exactly 60 seconds."

OL, these days commercials last for three to four minutes! Thank gawd for pay TV. :angry:
How right you are. I remember when half-hour network programs had approximately 26 minutes of content and around 4 minutes of advertising. Hour-long shows: roughly 54 minutes of content, ads the rest of the time. And even then, people complained about the number of commercials. (Local programming, of course, was a different animal: five minutes of show, seemingly five minutes of ads. Most of them for local car dealerships.)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pocket squares, IMO, do not differ greatly from each other, for the simple reason that so little of it shows. Can anyone besides the wearer really tell if you're wearing a pink linen or pink wool square? Therefore this is not an article of clothing that has much importance for me.

Quality-wise, a $150 square from Brioni does not differ from a Jos Bank square, which can often be had for $10 or less. Both hand-rolled printed silk; the JAB might be bigger actually.

Lastly, I don't think overly elaborate folds are a "tradly" virtue.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
Quality-wise, a $150 square from Brioni does not differ from a Jos Bank square, which can often be had for $10 or less. Both hand-rolled printed silk; the JAB might be bigger actually.
So it has always seemed to me. In fact, squares are about the only thing I buy regularly for myself at JAB. I was just wearing one today to a most charming high school production of "Anything Goes." I think I was the only man there wearing a necktie, to say nothing of a square.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.