Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on line for some new ideas for pocket squares. Unfortunately I am not in the mood for more silk or linen. My first thought was a satin finish but I am open to all alternate ideas for distinctive squares. Could anyone offer suggestions on something a little out of the ordinary...with a pointer if possible?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My indian nieghbor left hurriedly this AM for waht must be a important committment. he only had time for a smile, exchange of palm to palm on chest and slight bow greeting before driving off. He had a pocketsquare made up of indian cotton, block printed in indigo blue with sanskrit and a few tiony figural patterns. It was on khaki tan and really looked different. If I can find out where he got it, or the cloth I'm getting some!
So look at various indigenous art cloths. I am! Look what it started with David and Noina!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny you should ask: I recently acquired two cashmere pochettes - how great is that! I didn't know such things existed. One is in charcoal-grey with mustard stripes, the other is in a terracotta colour with brown edges. They're by Pal Zileri.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"So look at various indigenous art cloths"

Wow! This sounds interesting. We can be sure no one in my neighborhood has one. In truth native art can be very appealing. Post some pics if you get one.

"cashmere pochettes - how great is that!"\\
I have never heard of one either. It is amazing what one can learn if one asks.
Did you get then directly from Pal? I would be interested in checking this out.

I knew there had to be something out there beyond the average. You gentlemen have some great alternatives.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You didn't mention two ovious choices: cotton and wool. I'm really becoming a fan of "flat" materials like the two I've mentioned.

Just bought 5 different vintage cloths yesterday that my wife is making into squares (trying to- never done this before). 3 are cotton and two are cotton flannel.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have a dupioni silk square (it's very special since it was made from the same material as my wife's wedding dress).

I also have a silk/flax blend square.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Cotton

However, it should be a solid or patterned pocket square that nicely and subtly (but not excessively so) coordinates with or matches or a solid dress shirt. Or, you could choose a solid or patterned pocketsquare that nicely and subtly (but not excessively so) coordinates with a patterned dress shirt.

But it is best to opt against all pocketsquares (cotton or otherwise) other than the ones described above.

Can a pocket square be made out of cotton dress shirt fabric?

The reason that I am asking is because a member of AAAC said that a pocketsquare cannot be made out of silk tie fabric. This was due to silk tie fabric being to rigid for a pocketsquare, making a pocketsquare extremely difficult to fold, or something like that. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Sam Hober has a HUGE selection of cotton squares made of very high end shirt cottons.
I have a thai silk square that came from David and Noina's fabric site. It is VERY stiff, with a rough texture and in 'orange.' The colour is more like copper after the first smelting. It guards my pocket in a uncompromising TV fold like a shield paired with a rust/white/brown Hober paisley waiting for a Bookster tweed.
New fabric traditions from around the world offer new and exciting options that Sam Hober and Kent Wang have shown work.
It's like hearing Gamelon for the first time and incorporating elements in a string quartet.
I just discovered a new fabric resource www.textileconnection.net
enjoy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, the cashmere pocket squares came directly from Pal Zileri, a brand I do not much care for, but the squares are something else!

You'll also find cashmere pocket squares - albeit only during the Autumn-Winter months - at Eredi Chiarini, Florence.

They're not the easiest to wear, being somewhat bulky and they do, in my opinion, need to be contrasted: I probably would not wear one with a cashmere coat and tie, but I would wear one with a silk tie and a coat with a "dry" hand.

And yes, I sometimes take shirts which are on their last legs to my tailor and have them made into pocket squares. These must of course have hand-rolled edges. I sometimes enjoy having them made with a contrasting stitch (e.g., grey stitch on white fabric to wear with a grey coat) and I even have some monogrammed ones.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.