Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that I have OCD about a certain pocket square-related topic. I need my square to overlap my lapel. If the lapel cover a portion of the square, it bothers me very much - anyone else compulsive about this?

To clarify: on a two button coat of my size (38R) the left lapel cuts across the breast pocket opening a little bit, obscuring part of the corner. I like the way this looks. When wearing a square, however, there is the natural tendency for the lapel to cover a similar portion of the square. I insist that my square be situated so that even though the pocket's corner is covered-up, the exposed portion of the square runs the full width of the pocket. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my lapel cuts across the pocket, I prefer the square be behind the lapel. It looks odd sticking out in front.
I think others agree with you, unfortunately I don't. I wonder why this is such an issue with me?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm just the opposite. I like a bit of lapel to overlap.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^

Ha ha Fland! I've noticed that before - my father's 43S coats don't overlap at all...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Even as a barely-36S, I don't have too much of this problem. Try pulling the pocket square towards the left so that the two don't overlap. Alternately, narrower lapels.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Some of my coats have lapels that overlap more than others. I generall use a TV fold or 2 point pulled to the left as far as possible on coats with more lapel overlap, and go for a more elaborate 3 or 4 point fold on coats with less overlap.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even as a barely-36S, I don't have too much of this problem. Try pulling the pocket square towards the left so that the two don't overlap. Alternately, narrower lapels.
I don't consider it a problem. I don't like it when the lapel doesn't overlap the breast pocket, and I don't like it when the square doesn't overlap the lapel. I'm just coming clean about my strange proclivity and asking if there are any others out there that are equally as picky...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must note, however, that I just realized Frank's square doesn't overlap his lapel in my avatar and I still think he looks sharp. I really am just crazy, you know...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^

No. I don't smoosh it over. I merely bend the corner of the square forward, allow the lapel to snap back against the chest, and then release the square allowing it to do the same. The cornere of the square ends up forming a sandwhich with the jacket's chest - the lapel being in the middle.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Just to chime in, I notice it, it bothers me, I dont do anything about it.

It doesn't happen on every one of my jackets but its close on the ones that dont (and I wear a 42R).

I just bought two very nice Altea PS's off of STP and honestly that was the first time I noticed the "problem". The alternative is to start a new trend by having a PS display notch cut into one of your lapels or if its a notched lapel jacket have the notch line up with the pocket (not sure how strange that would look however but I assume strange).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^

No. I don't smoosh it over. I merely bend the corner of the square forward, allow the lapel to snap back against the chest, and then release the square allowing it to do the same. The cornere of the square ends up forming a sandwhich with the jacket's chest - the lapel being in the middle.
The pocket is behind the lapel, ergo what is in it should be behind the lapel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.