Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I don't have any pictures but I had the pleats removed from my tuxedo pants and you can't tell they were ever there. They just look like flat front pants now. If my memory is correct it cost about $85, but to me it's well worth it if you don't like pleats in your pants; and I don't like pleats in my pants.

Cruiser

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Changing reverse pleats to flat front is fairly simple and should come out looking fine. Forward pleats don't convert to flat front very easily as the fabric would have to be taken in at the crotch rather than the side. But perhaps you should just buy new trousers. Flat front trousers are everywhere these days.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
There are so many ways to cut pants for pleats, so it would all depend on how they are cut. The plan is that the grain of the cloth is of the crease.

Enjoy your pleats and go buy another pair without pleats. Pleated is nicer for sitting and perhaps the other is better for walking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't bother with just a pair of pants, but I have a few suits with jackets I love but pleated pants I'm not crazy about. They aren't bespoke (would that I could afford such things) so it isn't like I can have new pants made for them.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Not worth bothering with. Too tricky.
For those of us who don't like pleats it is definitely worth bothering with. Those of you who like and wear pleated pants apparently don't realize how hard it is to find much of a selection of flat front pants, especially with suits. It's really frustrating.

As for it being too tricky, I've had it done by two different tailors in the past and it didn't seem like too big of a deal to them. I remember seeing it listed on the alterations menu in a Brooks Brothers store a few years back. Of course I wouldn't go to my local dry cleaners alterations lady for this, assuming that she would even attempt it.

Cruiser

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
For those of us who don't like pleats it is definitely worth bothering with. Those of you who like and wear pleated pants apparently don't realize how hard it is to find much of a selection of flat front pants, especially with suits. It's really frustrating.
These days it's very easy to find flat front suits. I went into Barney's in Boston in October and asked which suits had pleated trousers. The salesman told me that they only had flat front. Flat front suits are everywhere right now.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Flat front suits are everywhere right now.
Not where I live. There are a few black suits and maybe charcoal with flat front pants, but that's about it. Brooks Brothers carries flat fronts in their lower end suit separates and the Fitzgerald line, JAB has some in their suit separates line, and Banana Republic has a few; but I can walk through any of my local stores like BB, JAB, Dilliards, Macy's, Steinmart, and the locally owned men's stores and find nothing but suits with pleated pants in stock. Even JCPenney has discontinued it's Stafford line of suit separates with flat front pants and replaced it with American Living suits which only come with pleated pants.

My tailor handles some of the overflow alterations work for the local Brooks Brothers store and he removes the pleats from quite a few of the pants bought there. I guess that's why he's good at this particular job, he gets a good deal of practice.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

As for it being too tricky, I've had it done by two different tailors in the past and it didn't seem like too big of a deal to them. I remember seeing it listed on the alterations menu in a Brooks Brothers store a few years back. Of course I wouldn't go to my local dry cleaners alterations lady for this, assuming that she would even attempt it.

Cruiser
If it works for you fine. I don't wear pleated Trousers i think they are a bit like cuffs, y'know so out of date they are quite quaint or like your making a statement. That said I am not against either of them. I am surprised you can't find flat fronted suits, have you tried your local Prada? Not so great but alright for kicking around in.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Seems a waste of time and treasure to me, no matter how good they look. The tailor has to not only remove the pleats but also reset the pockets. Just go out and buy another pair of flat front trousers. They're all over the place, including suits.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Seems a waste of time and treasure to me, no matter how good they look. The tailor has to not only remove the pleats but also reset the pockets. Just go out and buy another pair of flat front trousers. They're all over the place, including suits.
I'm not sure these "they're all over the place" responses get what is being asked. There are times when I see a one off suit, maybe in a thrift, or discount store, that screams my name...and then the deal breaker, pleated pants. Its frustrating. What I think the OP may have encountered was one such suit, that he loved, but happened to come with pleated trousers (to steal a line from George Carlin). If he were to go to Barneys and drop $4k on a suit, sure, they'd come flat front, but in certain situations thats just not an option. So I guess the answer is, thanks to Cruiser, that YES, it can be done, for just shy of $100.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well . . .

I'm not sure these "they're all over the place" responses get what is being asked. There are times when I see a one off suit, maybe in a thrift, or discount store, that screams my name...and then the deal breaker, pleated pants. Its frustrating. What I think the OP may have encountered was one such suit, that he loved, but happened to come with pleated trousers (to steal a line from George Carlin). If he were to go to Barneys and drop $4k on a suit, sure, they'd come flat front, but in certain situations thats just not an option. So I guess the answer is, thanks to Cruiser, that YES, it can be done, for just shy of $100.
. . . excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
526 Posts
These days it's very easy to find flat front suits. I went into Barney's in Boston in October and asked which suits had pleated trousers. The salesman told me that they only had flat front. Flat front suits are everywhere right now.
WOW, things must be different where you're at. In Ohio, Clev area, flat front pants are hard to find. The wife and I spent half a day searching mens stores to no avail. There were a few pairs but pleats seemed to the pants of choice.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
WOW, things must be different where you're at. In Ohio, Clev area, flat front pants are hard to find. The wife and I spent half a day searching mens stores to no avail. There were a few pairs but pleats seemed to the pants of choice.
That's the point I was trying to make. People keep saying that flat front pants are everywhere, but they are almost impossible to find in my area; and I live in a metropolitan area of over a million people. Even the places that sell by mail order such as Lands End and JAB have a limited selection of flat front pants. I wish to heck they were "everywhere". :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
There are times when I see a one off suit, maybe in a thrift, or discount store, that screams my name...and then the deal breaker, pleated pants. Its frustrating. . . . So I guess the answer is, thanks to Cruiser, that YES, it can be done, for just shy of $100.
After giving this some thought, I'm going to have to take another crack at it.

I guess that, since I don't spend my time rummaging in thrift or discount stores for that special number, I just don't have the right perspective on this. Then to chance on a suit that is so perfectly suitable for me in every way but the pleats that I just have to have it, and spend $100 to modify what the designer believed to be the appropriate style of trousers, simply escapes me.

There's so much "advice" given in some of these threads to buy something that really isn't right, and then have a tailor basically remake the garment, I am quite amazed. To the extent it provides "full employment" for tailors, I guess that's fine, but there are too many clothes out there that look good, fit well, and don't have something missing or wrong with them to waste my time and money on do-overs.

I do have to adjust the sleeves and hem the trousers, but narrowing or widening lapels, putting in or taking out belt loops or pleats, reworking arm holes, replacing French cuffs with barrels, changing pockets, and other reconstructions, distort the designers' intent and cost money that I don't have to waste.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
for those who usually purchase suits of a little better quality [read higher price]consider this. add $100 to the retail price. you just may be within the m2m price range. here all trousers can be flat front.
just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
for those who usually purchase suits of a little better quality [read higher price]consider this. add $100 to the retail price. you just may be within the m2m price range. here all trousers can be flat front.
just a suggestion.
HA! Erm.....yes indeed! New yorkers please take note.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.