Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
The fashion industry has been pushing flat front slacks for 4 or 5 years now. But I think they may have begun to realize that some people won't wear them, and those who don't offer pleats will lose business to those who do.
This certainly hasn't been my experience. Finding off the rack flat front pants, especially in a selection beyond charcoal, navy, black, and tan, is not easy. Every store I go to has almost exclusively pleated pants and when they do get flat front pants they sell out quickly.

My last two pairs of pants I had to pay $70 each to have the pleats removed and before that I had several pairs of pants made just so I could get flat fronts. I know several guys who wear pleated pants solely because flat front pants are so hard to find.

I was in Macy's, Dilliards, and Jos. A. Bank last week and couldn't find a single pair of flat front pants in any of them. OK, there were a couple of striped, fashion forward pants at Macy's, but that's not what I'm talking about. Macy's and Bank both told me I would have to special order flat front pants. I asked why they didn't carry them in the store and both salesman said that they didn't know, especially since they have so many requests for them.

Another example, J.C. Penney has apparently discontinued it's Stafford line of suit separates in which you could get either pleated or flat front pants. They are selling them at close out prices on their web site and the flat front pants have just about sold out while there are plenty of pleated pants in all sizes left.

I went to Brooks Brothers and almost all of their suits come only with pleated pants. I asked the salesman why and he just shook his head. He said he gets lots of requests for flat front pants. Later that same day I was at my tailors and a guy was dropping off a pair of Brooks Brothers pants to have the pleats removed.

My conclusion is that a lot of guys want flat front pants but simply can't find them easily. I wish the industry would push flat front pants.

Cruiser

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Why does there have to be a right or wrong on this? Select whichever style you prefer and wear it, or wear both styles for that matter. They are both acceptable, appropriate, and can look equally nice.

Cruiser

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I'm going to repeat what I said yesterday, who cares? Well, actually I didn't say who cares, but that's what I meant. If you like pleats, wear pleats. If you like flat front, wear flat front. Why the concern over what the next guy is wearing?

I only wear flat fronts but I don't think that there is something wrong with you if you don't. I might think that there is something wrong with you, but if so it will be for some other reason than whether or not you have pleats in your pants. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
We do. You don't. Don't you get tired posting this in every thread?
I don't think "we" do. I think "you" do and some others but you aren't everybody.

I don't post this in every thread, you just say that I do. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true.

Let me put it another way, if I want to wear flat front pants (which I do) I don't really care one way or the other what you think about that as far as it being "correct". I consider it a matter of individual taste.

And I really doubt that you care what others think about your choice in this matter, otherwise you would be changing back and forth from pleats to flats at every turn trying to comply with what those around you want you to wear. I suspect that you wear whichever style you personally prefer and you would dismiss someone's opinion that you are wearing the wrong style pants.

Beyond pants, you have repeated many times that I constantly say things like "anything goes", to use your most oft repeated phrase attributed to me. I have never said anything like this and have asked you many times to show me where I have, all without a response from you. You say things like this about me and this disappear only to come back later and repeat it.

The fact is that when it comes to something like pleats or flat, cuffs or not, buttondown or point, and on and on, it's more about simply choosing what one prefers rather than one is right and one is wrong. You interpret my saying this as my advocating an "anything goes" attitude. If you are that narrow minded I guess I will just have to live with some of your comments.

As to "who cares", that was a rhetorical question because I know that there are some here who think that their way is the only correct way and everyone else is wrong. So I know that they care and will argue til doomsday something to the effect that a buttondown collar with a suit signals nothing short than the beginning of the fall of Western civilization. But there are plenty of reasonable folks here also who don't see these things in such black and white. I realize you aren't one of them so why don't you just ignore what I have to say because you aren't going to like it.

Cruiser

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Look here, people are comming to this forum for advice. The only thing you keep on repeating is that it doesn't matter. This makes you a troll.
What doesn't matter? I'll tell you what doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether you choose to wear pleated pants or flat front pants. And if thinking that way makes me a troll, OK, I'm a troll. Does that make you feel better?

If you want to choose to wear one style or the other, it doesn't matter. Why do you think it does? Why do you think that YOUR choice in this matter is the only right choice and that anyone who disagrees with that is a troll?

By the way, we don't disagree on this as it appears we both favor flat front pants. The difference is that I don't really care if someone else chooses to wear pleats. Nor should you.

Cruiser

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.