Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 45, slim, and short. 5'7" and 150 lbs.

I'm looking to purchase some new slacks and can't decide if I should get pleats and/or cuffs. I've heard that cuffs and pleats don't look great on shorter men. Any comments or suggestions from the fashion gurus on this site? I'm looking for wool but open to suggestions.

FWIW, I work in a business casual (gasp!) environment.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm going to differ here. Being both short (5'3") and slim (120 lbs) and with a fairly athletic build; I often wear both cuffs and pleats. I find the cut of the trouser to be more important than the finishing---in particular a slim trouser without too much extra rise. That said, a smaller cuff 1 5/8" or so seems better on a small frame.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I don't think 5'7" is short enough to justify avoiding pleats and cuffs altogether, if you like them. Cuffs do tend to make you look shorter, pleats fatter. However, pleats also give you a vertical line that can actually make you look taller if you're slim to start with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
GO with pleats, they add vertical lines to the body, giving the appearance of longer legs. As for cuffs, make them smaller, 1.25 or 1" will allow them to be more porportional to your figure. Subtle tricks for the eyes my friend!

Patrick Tolbert
J.A.B. #477

·
Banned
291 Posts
I am five foot seven, 148 lbs. I avoid cuffs, whenever possible. If I can, I buy flat front trousers. Especially if you're fit . . . a flat front, really smooths you out. Extremely flattering. I think a flat front, ends up fitting a fit body, better backside, as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mark,

I'm pretty much the exact height and weight as you. Here's what I've found. First, I agree with the previous poster that it really depends on the cut of the pant. I have an older suit that has double pleats, but they just sort of puff out a bit and then end. Yes, it makes me look wider.

But I also have some newer suits (and pants) that have a single pleat that is very crisp, and turns into a razor sharp crease that goes right down to my shoes. This adds a great vertical line. While they are not tight pants, they are certainly cut more European, and are not at all floppy or wide at the bottom.

Second, regarding cuffs -- I find that on these pants, they really create a clean finish, but only at about 1 1/4 inches. Beyond that they are too wide for my frame, and start to take away from the vertical line. I actually used to stay away from pleats because of the "short man no pleats myth", but I have found recently that when done right, they are something I can't do without.

Also, make sure you keep the pants a little longish, so they break at the front and go down just at the top of the heel at the back. Stay way from that italian/european look where you almost show a bit of sock. Sure it might work on tall men, but it's deadly on those of us who are well under 6 feet!

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.