Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All remarks welcome, for better or worse. Thank you for all ideas and opinions.

Background information:
My chosen field is healthcare administration. I am currently on the lower rung of the healthcare administration ladder, a management consultant and department director. Career goal is to move upward. I believe that I need to: appear conservative, stable, and trustworthy. I also need to inspire confidence and project assurance of my ability to take the lead in important situations.

Ties are, left to right: 7 RLPLs, 1 RL Polo, 1 BB 346.

For further reference, what I consider to be my "good" suits are below the ties. Feel free to critique the suits as well, if you wish. They are, in sequence:

Oxxford navy hopsack blazer 2 bronze buttons center vent.
Oxxford blue-black w/light gray pinstripe 3-button side vents.
Oxxford blue-gray tick 2-button center vent, heavy merino wool.
Oxxford solid navy 2-button center vent.
Brioni solid navy herringbone weave 2-button side vents

Again, thank you for all input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally like the 2 on the direct left of the paisley tie and the one on the right. They are conservative without being too boring. The few power red ties are always good too.

I'm not a big fan of that particular paisley though as I feel it looks a little 'old'. I'm not against paisleys but that one doesn't do much for me.

As far as the suits go, I did like the Oxxford solid navy 2-button center vent, although all of them do seem to suit (no pun intended) your profession quite well.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Good safe bet options, as mentioned you could go for more colourful options but that is down to personal choice.

In terms of numbers, I would say you are at least one tie short. If you wear a tie everyday, a two-week rotation requires 10 ties and some like a larger rotation with 4/5 ties per suit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All strike me as very dark and conservative (you don't mention season or shirt preferences). (Also, I assume you know the rule about never mixing navy blues.) Unless you are in court or a bank boardroom, you can lighten up considerably. The trend today is to be wearing summer pastel colors with winter woolens; but I can't abide by it, and I'm in neither court nor bank boardrooms.

You clearly have a good sense of style, now let yourself blossom a bit; you certainly sound young enough to do so without fear of dandyism (read: RLPL ads).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
....... (you don't mention season or shirt preferences). .....(Also, I assume you know the rule about never mixing navy blues.) .....
I don't know the rule about mixing navy blues ... but I feel as though I'm close to an infraction. What's the rule?

Regarding shirt preference, to date I have nearly always worn white with suits and colors or patterns with a blazer, jacketless, and jacketless + tieless.

Regarding seasons, the photos show the bulk of my "good stuff." I have other suits and ties (sorry, not with me at this time) but of mostly of lower quality or odd fit. Possibly of note but absent would be a solid yellow-gold RL tie, another diagonal crosshatch pattern tie like the red and blue pictured, but in black, a medium gray tick 3-button RLPL suit, and an Oxxford tie that resembles a red BB #1 rep, but is over 4" wide.

Any remarks about season welcome, partly because I travel to different climates from time to time.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You're . . .

. . . safe!

Certainly they meet your criterion of conservative, and they look pretty well made. Your suits are very solid and look like good quality, too.

Of course, it all seems a bit gloomy, especially of you are a young person. A few more vibrant ties might lighten things up a little. The overall look of cheerfulness could actually get you more favorable attention than constantly looking like a middle-aged middle-manager. Just a thought.

If you are a bit unsure of your own instincts, you might enlist a lady friend who has good fashion and color sense to help you shop for a few more adventuresome numbers, maybe with a couple of complementary (not perfect match or "set") pocket squares.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Outstanding! Understated and elegant. You must work for
and exclusive clinic or the like. Or, you really stand out
from your peers. I am familiar with the local Kaiser Medical
and administrative staff. With some notable exceptions,
they (the men) dress like low level postal employees.
(apologies to the Post Office)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I love it when other members post their photo!

You have a great collection, there!

My favourite of your ties is the navy blue with the very thin sky stripes. Very sensible. It must be very reliable.

My favourite suit is your blue herringbone number. I wish I had one of those! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Magnificent collection berto !!! Understated, elegant, trustworthy, competent, and knowledgeable.....You have put your $ in some good pieces.... :icon_smile_big:

The black ROLL with gray/white squares must be stunning with your Oxford stripe suit/white shirt. The navy herringbone, and navy solid, may appear redundant, but because of the different weave, and cut, you have in effect--2 very different looks, while maintaining your confidence, and stability.

I like the paisley tie, and imagine it looks smart with your blazer/tan slacks/creme-blue-or pink shirts. Do you wear loafers, or brown derby's with that?

I agree with you on the solid banana/gold tie, and you may want to add a yellow foulard. I would also add a silver gray hairline/royal oxford/or mini check shirt with a white collar. This would be awesome with your black stripe. A wine or black foulard-(repeating pattern)-or red or gold would complete the ensemble.

Well done young man:icon_smile:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Solid choices, unimpeachable as such. But the question is, do they suit YOU? Do they look good on you, or do the dark tones of the ties and light shirts create such a severe contrast that they draw attention away from your face.

Different men look good in different things. (For instance, I cannot wear yellow, even as a tie. A gold tie on a pale blue shirt with a navy suit is a classic, but it doesn't work for me. Ties that look beatutiful on the shelf or hanger look bad on me; or, rather and worse, they make ME look bad.) One has a fair amount of room in adjusting the palate to suit your own complexion and features before the look becomes fundamentally un-serious or frivolous. If this is the palate that looks best on you, then stick with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.