Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noted in the window displays of many Saville Row premises today, that checked jackets were often paired with plain shirts. In particular I was drawn to the combination of such jackets with white shirts, and then a plain knit tie.

This photo I took today, it is not great but shows a patterned jacket with a plain blue shirt.

My feeling was that white shirts like this could either work very well, or deliver a "Mr Bean effect".

Thoughts?

· Registered
3,297 Posts
That's pretty heavy patterning on the jacket so a plain shirt/tie combo works pretty well. The only criticism I have of this combo is that the shirt/tie seem a bit formal for a casual jacket.

· Registered
3,915 Posts
Contrary to I guess will be accepted wisdom, I think you have to be very, very careful when pairing solid white shirts with heavily patterned jackets, esp. if the weave of the white shirt is fine/formal and the jacket is light-coloured (such as the one pictured).

It can either look too stark a contrast or can actually wash-out the jacket's own colour/texture (so all you see is the bold pattern). I don't know, maybe my aesthetic sense on this is off.

Solid blue is much easier to use with these sort of jackets than solid white. Esp. if it's a relatively informal weave.

As for the combo pictured, personally I'd have preferred a patterned tie, maybe in a russet, a mustard or a forest green background.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have several checked or plaid jackets that....

I wear with solid color shirts. You do have to be careful in using a patterned solid color such as a heringbone weave with the patterned jacket. I usually wind up wearing a solid blue, white, ot pink shirt, sometimes with a solid tie and sometimes with a paisley or other patterned tie.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
With tweeds and other earth-toney checks, I find that an ecru or eggshell shirt often looks better to my eye than one in plain white.

A season or two back, H&H had plain poplin shirts in a shade they called "ivory" (paler and less tannish than their "cream" shade). I got one each in double and single cuff, and am glad I did as they soon disappeared off the website. It's an excellent shade with tweeds and a burgundy tie, whether solid or in a club design such as one I have from Press that has little golfers embroidered on it.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
I prefer solid shirts and knit ties with sports coats like this. I'm sure I would choose the same combination myself as in the picture. The blue poplin shirt is an amazing thing. It goes with most suits and most sport coats in most situations. Almost half my shirts are blue poplin! I might even wear a white shirt with a sportcoat like that, as long as I'm wearing a tie. Ecru would also be great. With such a loud pattern, I don't want to ask for any trouble by wearing a competing shirt or tie. Of course, a blue end-on-end, pinpoint, oxford, or twill would also work with this sports coat. Still, blue poplin is a very English thing to do in this situation. My opinion on the tie is that since there are 3 colours in the sport coat, a tie with multiple colours may compete with the coat, or if the colours are the same as in the coat if would look too "matched."

· Registered
996 Posts
it's a store display

The store highlights what it actually sells, and it makes sense to keep the accessories practical and inoffensive.

Exactly what patterned shirt can one wear under a bold check? Stripes is a clash of line, and plaid is tricky and busy.

The solid tonal tie is playing it very safe, but better safe than sorry.

· Registered
637 Posts
Plain shirts works very well, but cream not white. White is too aggressive for what are normally fairly warm colours, and is too formal. Check shirts are fine too, providing that the check is discrete and differently sized. The plain ties with texture quietens everything down a bit - knitted or wool.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
I too agree - a cream shirt - and a maroon/madder tie.
Incidentally, the hem on the jacket shown does not line up with the check pattern. This is normal practice, because the way the jacket is cut precludes it, although some check jackets do have hems that follow the checks. However, when the check is bold I'm not sure I like the not-lined-up effect. What do others think ?

· Registered
8,536 Posts
Incidentally, the hem on the jacket shown does not line up with the check pattern. This is normal practice, because the way the jacket is cut precludes it, although some check jackets do have hems that follow the checks. However, when the check is bold I'm not sure I like the not-lined-up effect. What do others think ?
I don't mind it, because it has to be done.

Has anyone noticed how long this coat looks? And are the pockets placed a bit high?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Contrary to I guess will be accepted wisdom, I think you have to be very, very careful when pairing solid white shirts with heavily patterned jackets, esp. if the weave of the white shirt is fine/formal and the jacket is light-coloured (such as the one pictured).

It can either look too stark a contrast or can actually wash-out the jacket's own colour/texture (so all you see is the bold pattern). I don't know, maybe my aesthetic sense on this is off.

Solid blue is much easier to use with these sort of jackets than solid white. Esp. if it's a relatively informal weave.

As for the combo pictured, personally I'd have preferred a patterned tie, maybe in a russet, a mustard or a forest green background.
No, actually I think you're correct. White can be too stark a contrast for some plaid jackets and wash them out. A softer contrast can often make both elements look better, and more importantly the wearer. While the light blue depicted is OK, a softer blue could haver better married the two items, and allowed a more interesting tie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.