Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago there was a thread here where someone was looking for a source for plain, logoless, gray sweatshirts.

A couple weeks ago I picked two up at Walmart, $9 each, Penmans brand. I've worn them a fair bit in the last little while, and they have held up pretty well. They haven't shrunk, lost their shape, etc. There was a lot of fluff that came off of them in the first washing, but it's been fine since.

I just thought I'd share.

· Registered
2,500 Posts
As I always answer on this subject - I think the Lands End ones are great.

$19.50 Regular:

or their $29.50 heavyweight:

The heavyweight comes in tall sizes, which I like.

I have a royal blue regular one (when it was offered in tall). I have a gray heavyweight and I also have the plain gray zip hoodie which is also a great old-school sweatshirt. All are great.

None have any outside logos.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I bought about a month or so ago, and think I mentioned it in the other thread a couple at KMart from Joe Boxer for something like $8 a piece and for knock arounds a great price and they do the job.

· Registered
464 Posts
+1 I have always been happy with products from Land's End. My only complaint is that, as time goes by, there is less and less available in Tall.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
+1 Kmart at Penn Station!
Astor Place for me, ;)

I am glad Walmart isn't here in the confines of Manhattan. I won't support them anyways, since they have a fetish for bulldozing Civil War battlefields...

· Registered
2,500 Posts
+1 I have always been happy with products from Land's End. My only complaint is that, as time goes by, there is less and less available in Tall.
True - it seems that the basics are usually avail. in Tall, but some of the "niftier" items - like special sport coats or patterned shirts/sweaters are only in regular.

LL Bean has a great selection of Talls as does the less "traditional" retailer, Eddie Bauer.

· Registered
4,130 Posts

· Registered
2,186 Posts
Do you guys mainly wear these sweatshirts the way I did as a kid: raking leaves, playing football, lying on the floor watching TV? Or do you sometimes throw them over an OCBD and add a sport coat?

· Registered
464 Posts
... Or do you sometimes throw them over an OCBD and add a sport coat?
I can honestly say that I never considered doing that. Now that I have... I won't! :icon_smile_big:

Actually, I do wear sweatshirts frequently, but mostly with a Tshirt underneath. I wear them for working in the yard, working out, and sleeping. I don't recall ever wearing one over an OCBD and know for sure that I haven't worn one with a sportcoat.

· Registered
433 Posts
funny story

Do you guys mainly wear these sweatshirts the way I did as a kid: raking leaves, playing football, lying on the floor watching TV? Or do you sometimes throw them over an OCBD and add a sport coat?
I mostly wear them on days where I'm just staying at home. But one day I wore one over an OCBD shirt with khakis to work on the weekend. And a coworker asked why I was so "dressed up." Frightening.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
The dress code at the office where I worked this summer was basically to cover one's pubic area, and okay, the nipples. Flip-flops were the norm for many months on end. (It was mostly guys, and nobody of either sex that would draw any keen looks on the street.)

But I have a new job, and the city is starting to look festive. People look a lot more put together in their autumn wools and dark, rich colors. Things are hopeful.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
I've never "dressed one up" that way. I'm wearing my L.L. Bean sweatshirt right now, in fact. I was working in the yard all day. I'm wearing it with an old white Bean t-shirt, a decrepit pair of Polo Philip khakis, shotshell belt, khaki baseball cap (w/crab logo from Jimmy & Sook), and an ancient pair of Bean camp mocs, sans socks. Very nondescript, but God is in the details. ;)

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Not to sound like Chase Hamilton, but I have a service to rake leaves. I'm sure I could pay them to play football and lie on the floor watching TV as well. :)

I may have a couple solid, un-logoed sweatshirts that I only wear when I go jogging outside in the fall or spring. (Being Atlanta, this period of time is nearly contiguous).

The college sweatshirts - I have them for Temple, Dartmouth, and Alabama - and the ones from various resorts I've been to, those will get worn with an OCBD or a polo shirt. Unless I'm jogging, I will NOT go out in public without a collar.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
My North Carolinian clients wear one uniform: Golf shirt. Wool pants. Thin, dark dress socks. Sporty brown loafers.

Repeat ad nauseum.

I feel like showing up in a grey sweatshirt over an OCBD.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.