Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title may be slightly misleading, but basically I'm a seventeen year old British guy, and I'm quite interested in the 'British equivalent' of what places like J. Press sell. I say British equivalent because there's a lot of talk about British suits on here, but obviously I can't really be wearing a suit every day, so I'm more interested in the more informal clothing (sports jackets etc). What I'm really looking for is places that sell classic clothes, but aren't focussed on the whole 'country shooting club' thing of crazy checked shirts and ties with animals printed on them. I'm also not a huge fan of what any of the more 'fashiony' places like Daks, Aquascutum or, god forbid, Burberry put out (not that I can afford to shop at any of those places, I'm just pointing it out). Also, I have a fairly athletic build, and a lot of these places seem to cater for the more 'well-built' gentleman. I like places like Ede and Ravenscroft, if that helps.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
E&R, Pakeman, Cordings, Bookster, Barbour, even M&S, if you pick the right items. Loake or Barker may serve as a good entry point to footwear.
The triumvate in Charlie's signature are good choices for accessories like umbrellas.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What I'm really looking for is places that sell classic clothes, but aren't focussed on the whole 'country shooting club' thing of crazy checked shirts and ties with animals printed on them. I'm also not a huge fan of what any of the more 'fashiony' places like Daks, Aquascutum or, god forbid, Burberry put out (not that I can afford to shop at any of those places, I'm just pointing it out). Also, I have a fairly athletic build, and a lot of these places seem to cater for the more 'well-built' gentleman. I like places like Ede and Ravenscroft, if that helps.
Huntin' shootin' fishin' stuff is quite old-fashioned for a seventeen year old and animal ties are really naff.
Many British trad places go for that look though. Are you OK with blazers Jermyn Street shirts, Northampton shoes ? You could try the more youthful examples of these. Not sure I would recommend particular stores - just take it where you find it.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Luckily for you, there's an abundance of stuff out there, as "classic British" is one of the recognized major streams of timeless menswear.

In addition to the vendors mentioned above, you might also want to consider items from Hackett, Joseph Turner, Thin Red Line, Harvie & Hudson, House of Bruar, Oliver Brown, Crombie, Brocklehurst's of Bakewell, Hornet's Hats, Woods of Shropshire, Bromley's, Budd of Piccadilly (sadly they have no website), and (for a few things such as moleskin trousers) James Meade.

The "trad" British checked (2- or 3-color tattersall) shirt with a moderately spread collar isn't what I'd call crazy (T.M. Lewin sells a few "GTH" checked business shirts). It's a recognized classic.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sounds like your not a fan of "Trad" English clothes!

The title may be slightly misleading, but basically I'm a seventeen year old British guy, and I'm quite interested in the 'British equivalent' of what places like J. Press sell. I say British equivalent because there's a lot of talk about British suits on here, but obviously I can't really be wearing a suit every day, so I'm more interested in the more informal clothing (sports jackets etc). What I'm really looking for is places that sell classic clothes, but aren't focussed on the whole 'country shooting club' thing of crazy checked shirts and ties with animals printed on them. I'm also not a huge fan of what any of the more 'fashiony' places like Daks, Aquascutum or, god forbid, Burberry put out (not that I can afford to shop at any of those places, I'm just pointing it out). Also, I have a fairly athletic build, and a lot of these places seem to cater for the more 'well-built' gentleman. I like places like Ede and Ravenscroft, if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it. It's difficult to articulate what I'm trying to achieve; basically I want to have a trditional look without looking like I'm wearing a costume. Unfortunately my wardrobe is still mostly that of a typical teenager, but if I were to work towards amassing a wardrobe including the following, what would you think? Any useful suggestions/input?

Navy blazer (I prefer double vented, 2 button, I suppose brass buttons are the classic choice)
Tweed jacket in something relatively subtle such as a charcoal herringbone
Linen jacket in a light stoney colour for summer
Barbour jacket (already got one but thought I'd include it)
Classic coat (I have a scrummy gloverall peacoat - I know they get a lot of bad press on here but I think it looks great)
Mac/trench in a beigey colour
Standard dress shirts in typical colours, button cuffs
Tattersall shirts in coulours that suit my colder complexion (I can't pull of the usual earthy tones I'm afraid)
Some linen shirts for the summer maybe?
Are OCBDs inherently american, or can englishmen get away with them as well?
Maybe some polo/rugby shirts
Cords, twills, moleskins in various shades of tan/brown
Grey flannels
Possibly linen trousers although i worry about the sheerness of the fabric around my nether regions!
Brown/tan brogues, brown boots (I have some jodhpur boots with the little buckle above the ankle) maybe some loafers although again, are they inherently american?
Brown belt, gloves etc, nice hat(s)

Any glaring omissions?

I know I've rambled a lot here but I'd really appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it. It's difficult to articulate what I'm trying to achieve; basically I want to have a trditional look without looking like I'm wearing a costume. Unfortunately my wardrobe is still mostly that of a typical teenager, but if I were to work towards amassing a wardrobe including the following, what would you think? Any useful suggestions/input?

Navy blazer (I prefer double vented, 2 button, I suppose brass buttons are the classic choice)
Tweed jacket in something relatively subtle such as a charcoal herringbone
Linen jacket in a light stoney colour for summer
Barbour jacket (already got one but thought I'd include it)
Try Tyrwhitt for the linen jacket, perhaps Ralph Lauren on eBay for the blazer.

If you can get the cash together, go bespoke on a blazer (single breasted, 1-button).

Classic coat (I have a scrummy gloverall peacoat - I know they get a lot of bad press on here but I think it looks great)
Mac/trench in a beigey colour
You want a covert coat too. Peacoats & covert coats are slim and youthful.

Sharpest raincoat I've ever seen is from Roderick Charles

Standard dress shirts in typical colours, button cuffs
Tattersall shirts in coulours that suit my colder complexion (I can't pull of the usual earthy tones I'm afraid)
Some linen shirts for the summer maybe?
Tattersalls you should get from Cordings. Substantial collar, nice fabric.

Work shirts, checked shirts to wear with blazers and the like, personally I would get from Harvie & Hudson. Again, substantial collars.

Informal summer linen shirts take your pick (J Crew, etc).

Again, bespoke / mtm is the ideal.

Are OCBDs inherently american, or can englishmen get away with them as well?
Maybe some polo/rugby shirts
Wear what you like.

Cords, twills, moleskins in various shades of tan/brown
Grey flannels
Possibly linen trousers although i worry about the sheerness of the fabric around my nether regions!
Brown/tan brogues, brown boots (I have some jodhpur boots with the little buckle above the ankle) maybe some loafers although again, are they inherently american?
Brown belt, gloves etc, nice hat(s)

Any glaring omissions?

I know I've rambled a lot here but I'd really appreciate any feedback.
M&S do OK linen trousers, Pakeman, Cordings, Tyrwhitt etc do all the other styles you mention.

As for shoes for a young guy, I recommend Sperry boat shoes, sneakers from Tretorn, Clarks desert boots, double monkstraps from Allen Edmonds. Suede chukkas are nice too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have some desert boots, and I'm warming up to some deck shoes. Is there an easy way to get jcrew in the uk? I emailed them ages ago to enquire but they don't do international shipping (not that I'm desperate, but some of their things, esp their cashmere and chinos, look pretty nice for the price).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.