Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering. If you know how to get out the stains off a dress shirt.

I have them all as 100% cotton, and one 90% cotton and 10% polyester.

I use tide cold water to wash my clothes, do you think I should keep on trying to wash the shirt until it gets out?? because I don't want my washer to damage my clothes as for it is a top loader, and no dual action agitator...

Please help me :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If there is still clumps of sauce then rinse it first. If not treat it with a stain fighter, such as Shout. I'd let it sit for a little while and then wash. I've found "grease lightning" and "goo be gone" are two products that will help get out greasy stains that traditional stain fighters can't remove, yet aren't too abrasive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there is still clumps of sauce then rinse it first. If not treat it with a stain fighter, such as Shout. I'd let it sit for a little while and then wash. I've found "grease lightning" and "goo be gone" are two products that will help get out greasy stains that traditional stain fighters can't remove, yet aren't too abrasive.
Yes I have Shout, but I find it a bit irritant and caused me to have some itch on my skin. I just tried Purex 2x concentrate, and I put the cycle on a regular. so then I put it to heavy and when the pointer reached normal. I stopped the machine allowing the shirts to soak so I don't know if that will work.

Do you think I can put in some color safe bleach by chlorox again? I tried it once, and when I washed my clothes I didn't separate the stained ones, and the light soiled ones.

I don't have a dual action agitator type and it's not the one that my washer is equip with. My aunt has a washer with a dual action one which is a maytag, not the new one probably in the 2002-2003 I don't really know. I can't bring it to her house because she will know I wear dress shirts, and she is a bit crabby...

I heard dual action type agitator washers are a lot better at cleaning the clothes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This link may help:
Thanks.

Have you tried that before too?? I hope it works, because I just put the washer on a soak setting. I don't think it was in the instruction book there, but I hope it helps me well :)

What do you do when you have a pizza sauce stain on your dress shirts?? or blouse or any type of garment you wear.

Sorry if I mistook your gender type xD please forgive me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Haven't the precise method in the link, but I try to get the garment cleaned as soon as possible so that the sauce doesn't have time to get set or dry up. Spot cleaning with detergent, followed by a soak and wash has always worked for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't the precise method in the link, but I try to get the garment cleaned as soon as possible so that the sauce doesn't have time to get set or dry up. Spot cleaning with detergent, followed by a soak and wash has always worked for me.
I see.

I was at home when I was eating, and then I got the stain... so then I just ran into the laundry room and added it with the other load of dirty clothes when I set the washer to soaking my dirty clothes.... so then my load finished and my white dress shirt I was going to wear got the pizza stain too... so then I did a rewash...

Oh and I just took out most of the lumps of sauce that fell on my shirt and then threw it into the wash... I hope the extra info helps :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had good luck with this stuff:

I once got cake frosting all over a dress shirt, and this stuff was the only thing that got it all out. It took a few iterations, but the shirt is now stain-free and not otherwise damaged.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had good luck with this stuff:

I once got cake frosting all over a dress shirt, and this stuff was the only thing that got it all out. It took a few iterations, but the shirt is now stain-free and not otherwise damaged.
I have heard of it many times before, but I don't know if it is available in Canada. I don't use credit cards, and I am not very familiar to ordering over the phone, or online..

Is it sold in any grocery stores?? or any other store??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Spray & Wash Dual Power Laundry Stain Remover - it's awesome! Just remember that you should not let the treated garment sit for more than 5 minutes!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spray & Wash Dual Power Laundry Stain Remover - it's awesome! Just remember that you should not let the treated garment sit for more than 5 minutes!
I don't know about that.. on the other spray n' wash it said to let sit from 3-5 min depending on how dirty the stain may be...

I used purex, and it somewhat helps.

Do you think it may be stronger than tide and other detergents??

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about that.. on the other spray n' wash it said to let sit from 3-5 min depending on how dirty the stain may be...

I used purex, and it somewhat helps.

Do you think it may be stronger than tide and other detergents??

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have heard of it many times before, but I don't know if it is available in Canada. I don't use credit cards, and I am not very familiar to ordering over the phone, or online..

Is it sold in any grocery stores?? or any other store??
Their Website says it's sold at variety of stores (hardware, automotive, home-improvement, etc.). They had a list:

I've never been to Canada, so I don't know what stores on the list have locations there. I bet someone there sells it, though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There's a great stain remover called Energine. I don't see it around much anymore, it used to be found in hardware stores. It's essentially dry cleaning fluid in a can. Good for stains and cutting down on trips to the dry cleaner.

·
Registered
403 Posts
In may experience the king of stain removers is VANISH. I used this to remove a really bad gravy stain that numerous washings and dry cleanings had failed to remove. The stain was four years old and had been ironed in, too, so that it appeared to be part of the fabric. I mixed up a spoonful of Vanish powder, and poured it onto the stain and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I machine washed the garment and the stain was 100% gone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In may experience the king of stain removers is VANISH. I used this to remove a really bad gravy stain that numerous washings and dry cleanings had failed to remove. The stain was four years old and had been ironed in, too, so that it appeared to be part of the fabric. I mixed up a spoonful of Vanish powder, and poured it onto the stain and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I machine washed the garment and the stain was 100% gone.
Well.. that is sold in the UK.. I don't live in the UK anymore xD I used to 10 years ago

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm a big Italian food fan, cook it myself often and have gotten tomato sauce on many shirts. I've never had a stain that didn't come out with normal laundering. So I can't offer any advice about how to get the stain out, but I'd advise you to find a different place to get your pizza!

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
JCV:

When you first get a stain, just go to the Clohes Stain Removal Chapter of The Encycyclopedia of Men's Clothes. Don't have your copy yet? :eek: No problem, see the link at the very bottom! :icon_smile:
TOMATO BASED PRODUCTS

Saturate the area with a pre-wash stain remover. Wait a couple of minutes for the product to penetrate the stain. For stubborn stains, rub with heavy-duty liquid detergent. Launder immediately.

If color stain remains, soak the entire garment in a dilute solution of all-fabric bleach. Be aware that all the colors may lighten.

If the stain persists, and the garment is white or colorfast, soak in a dilute solution of liquid chlorine bleach and water.

For heavy stains, apply dry-cleaning fluid to back of stain over absorbent white paper towels. Let dry; rinse. Launder as above.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.