Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
As far as I know, it is not a requirement. Some suits and sport coats benefit from the look.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I always wondered this myself, since so many people here make a big hoopla over pick stitching.

It always reminds me of awful 70's clothing I grew up seeing around me and learned to despise as time went on. The 70's were such a dead end of bad taste, and anything attached to that era is in my trash can.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
When pick stitching is done with taste ....

it is a nice extra, but it is not required for a quality suit. My BB Regents have pick stitching which adds to the suits. Pick stitching on a cheap suit can detract, but the suit is already cheap so it doesn't matter much. I fail to see what pick stitching has to do with clothes of the 70's since it was not a hallmark of that era.

Pick stiching serves no useful purpose except it adds a litle handwork to a suit. On the few suits I have with pick stitching, it is well done and I like it.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
If a suit does not have pick stitching, does this indicate the suit is not a nice suit?

Must all quality suits have pick stitching?
No and no. I personally think this kind of stitching looks awful and msakes the garment look cheap, simply becasue so many cheaper manufacturers use it. I saw it on a Boss suit recently and it just made it look like junk.
We had this discussion back in the autumn.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I always wondered this myself, since so many people here make a big hoopla over pick stitching.

It always reminds me of awful 70's clothing I grew up seeing around me and learned to despise as time went on. The 70's were such a dead end of bad taste, and anything attached to that era is in my trash can.
I agree with every point you make.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
At one point, I imagine pick stitching was a reliable indicator of bespoke tailoring. It doesn't take long for ready-to-wear companies to pick up on these things.

I rather like the look of pick stitching now and then, but it's certainly not a requirement, and, given how common it is among cheaper brands, not a litmus test. Similarly, I've had more than one cheap sport coat with surgeon's cuffs, while my fully canvassed suit has non-working cuffs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would say abt 40% of our suits are requested to be made with pick stitching. The hand nature of the stitch and the fact that it is not a uniform one is a far better alternative to the machine done RTW suits with pick stitching in my opinion, where the thread almost always seems to have been used a too great a tension.
I think it comes down to the cloth as to whether I would have it on my own suits- on a 'matt' looking suit would be far preferable than a lighterweight cloth with a shine etc which seems to highlight the stitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.