Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a one-button, peak lapel dinnner jacket - is it appropriate/desirable to have pick stitching?

Didn't know if it serves as a mark of 'quality' :)icon_smile_wink:) on a dinner jacket as it does on business suits...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
it would look weird with the stitches running up the edge of the silk lapel.
always thought pick stitching looked silly any way. blind stitching always looks much more elegant. but not in the silk also.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Damn. The pick stitching was the part of the other "All the bells and whistles" I had on my Ravi's suits--along with working buttonholes ($15), bemberg lining and full canvass. I forgot that in an previous post. It will probably be too dark for anyone to notice, and those who do won't care. I'd do it in a heartbeat if the price were right, because you'll know--but like most pick stitching--it would be more decorative than functional.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
A dinner jacket should be simple and elegant. Pick stitching (especially machine applied) would be out of place.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of pick stitching, so on a dinner jacket I would say no for sure. I'm not sure it would serve as a mark of quality.

Question though: what is blind stitching? Is that what most suit jackets (that don't have pick stitching) have or is it different?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of pick stitching, so on a dinner jacket I would say no for sure. I'm not sure it would serve as a mark of quality.

Question though: what is blind stitching? Is that what most suit jackets (that don't have pick stitching) have or is it different?
a blind stitched edge is one that is hand stitched, but does not have those dimples running along the edges.
when done right you have to look very close to see that it is stitched.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
its the silk lapel we all are talking about. your white jacket has a self facing its not the silk we are speaking of. nothing at all wrong with your jacket.
by the way what color trousers do you wear with it?
Quite right about the self facing on most dinner jackets. I have a silk-faced shawl on one of my dinner jackets, which is more typical of the abominable "white tuxedo" with matching white pants having a white silk stripe down the seam, but I agree that pick stitching on that would look pretty bad.

By the way, Cuffthis wears black trousers with his spiffy dinner jacket, which are visible over the hanger's trouser bar inside the dinner jacket:icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.