Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I am impressed. Alpaca is my favorite and you have found great examples. I have one nearly identical to the zip neck in the photos and everyone likes it. The only time Alpaca draws a negative comment is if you tell some people it is Alpaca. They don't quite understand it.
I also envy your trip to Peru. It is a very interesting country!

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The markets are filled with the Peruvian design woolens. I bought one and will give it away to a friend. I stock to the better shops, and I do love that cable one too. The gold button down is more nostalgic for me than anything else, my uncle wore a gold button down cable sweater and I was unable to get it after he passed away, so this one reminds me of him in many ways, he got me into clothing in the first place.

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great purchases! I love alpaca.

Were the prices good there?
Alan, the prices in the markets are cheap, cheap, cheap, but they don't have the styles. In the nicer shops the prices are good. I am not sure what an alpaca sweater of this quality goes for in the US, I saw some on line for $100 but I don't think like these. These ranged from sale prices of $50 plus us to $120 US, most at around $90 to $100 US. The baby alpaca a tad on the upper end ($120) with the exception of the 3 button collared one which I got for $85 US on sale. I have not been able to see this much alpaca in styles and colors anywhere. I tend to like the thinner, finer weave so I can wear under a sport coat of under a winter coat with a shirt and tie for business, so these fit the bill perfectly. And I like the solid colors with no patters (the cable one is something I have been looking for, but not necessarily in alpaca, but once I saw it.....). The baby alpaca is a bit thicker, but oh so soft.

So I would guess in a good mens shop these would be anywhere from $200 to $300 in the US but I may be way off.

Joel

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alan and eagle, thanks again. I was pretty discriminating, there was so much to choose from. I found that I took a small in most of the items except the zippered sweater, that was a large, go figure. I came home and tried to figure out what to purge, it was easy, most of my older sweater are way too big for me now, and these are dressier, I am quite happy with these. I could have bought more but my mind said, STOP.

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Guitone im going to Lima and Cusco in about a week and I was wondering what shops you would recommend visiting since you seemed to find better stuff than I did...Thanks
Huna is everywhere and they have nice stuff, I got about 4 or so sweaters there, a hat for my daughter and couple of scarves.

Alpa Prima is at Larco Mar in Lima, nice stuff.

Incalapca is also in Lima at Larco Mar, my daughter did better than I did there, also very nice stuff and I think owned by Huna.

In Cusco I found Michell Y Cia, but the brand name is SOL and the store name might say that as well (I liked this shop better than Huma although much was the same, just in my opinion more variety, I think most of these are part of the Apaca 111, Huna, etc. There are many locations for each so wander and see what one has on sale, most of my purchases were full price, still I felt a good deal considering the quality. One of my favorites was a little shop in one of the many plazas in Cusco, Werna and Ana, Plaza San Francisco 295-A. That is where I got the gray baby alpaca V neck. I found a small shop of handmade stuff in Lima, I got the blue crew neck baby alpaca there and the gloves and more. I think the name was Copia Local, or it may have been The Andes Tradition. It was off of La Paz something, down an alley of shops and a local woman told me she only buys there due to the quality and the quality is great, no haggling at all, but then there was really no haggling in any of these nicer shops, nor would I try. Cash, US or Soles will get you a 10% discount, and if they are offering a 2.9 or better exchange rate use US cash.

I wish I had better addresses. I found at least 5 or 6 SOL shops in Cusco, each with different items, my favorite was in a plaza near a vegetarian restaurant, sorry I do not remember the street but I think it is near the Plaza Hegotic or something similar to that near San Juan de something. I am reading a map on line and it is hard to see street names. In any even there is a SOL on the street of the vegetarian restaurant, walk away from the plaza de Armas tro the next plaza and across the way is a much better SOL shop. I hope that is not too confusing.

If you buy a piece here and there, ask what they have in the back that might be on sale, what the new styles are they will be very helpful.

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
141 Posts
Huna is everywhere and they have nice stuff, I got about 4 or so sweaters there, a hat for my daughter and couple of scarves.

Alpa Prima is at Larco Mar in Lima, nice stuff.

Incalapca is also in Lima at Larco Mar, my daughter did better than I did there, also very nice stuff and I think owned by Huna.

In Cusco I found Michell Y Cia, but the brand name is SOL and the store name might say that as well (I liked this shop better than Huma although much was the same, just in my opinion more variety, I think most of these are part of the Apaca 111, Huna, etc. There are many locations for each so wander and see what one has on sale, most of my purchases were full price, still I felt a good deal considering the quality. One of my favorites was a little shop in one of the many plazas in Cusco, Werna and Ana, Plaza San Francisco 295-A. That is where I got the gray baby alpaca V neck. I found a small shop of handmade stuff in Lima, I got the blue crew neck baby alpaca there and the gloves and more. I think the name was Copia Local, or it may have been The Andes Tradition. It was off of La Paz something, down an alley of shops and a local woman told me she only buys there due to the quality and the quality is great, no haggling at all, but then there was really no haggling in any of these nicer shops, nor would I try. Cash, US or Soles will get you a 10% discount, and if they are offering a 2.9 or better exchange rate use US cash.

I wish I had better addresses. I found at least 5 or 6 SOL shops in Cusco, each with different items, my favorite was in a plaza near a vegetarian restaurant, sorry I do not remember the street but I think it is near the Plaza Hegotic or something similar to that near San Juan de something. I am reading a map on line and it is hard to see street names. In any even there is a SOL on the street of the vegetarian restaurant, walk away from the plaza de Armas tro the next plaza and across the way is a much better SOL shop. I hope that is not too confusing.

If you buy a piece here and there, ask what they have in the back that might be on sale, what the new styles are they will be very helpful.

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the info...I will check out a few and see what I can find.

· Registered
141 Posts
Hey Guitone,
Thanks again for the suggestions. I found much more that I liked in Cusco than I did in Lima this trip. My haul was smaller than yours but I ended up with a couple v-neck sweaters, a jacket, a couple scarves, and a few belts to wear with jeans. I also picked up a few cotton polos at a shop in Lima that were quite nice.
Zach

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tiealign,

Post some pics when you get a chance, would love to see what you got. I saw a great jacket at Alpaca 111 but not in my size....or I would have considered it, even with no real need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.