Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was watching a DVD of "You're Never Too Young," a Martin & Lewis movie from 1955, one which I've enjoyed on TV ever since I was a kid. I haven't seen the movie for a while, and I my eyes popped at a visual gag where Jerry Lewis is yanked out of a room and right out of his shoes. There is a quick shot of shoes left behind, which I froze and captured fuzzily with my digicam off the TV screen.

The details don't show as well as on the screen, but what really struck me was the thickness of the soles. They almost look synthetic, but on screen they looked like natural edge leather. And check out how high the backs are. The shoes appear to be unlined as well, judging from what I am able to see of the interior along with the lack of stitching around the tongue edge.

If anyone is able to ID the brand of these, I'll be most impressed. Anyway, I thought this was cool and wanted to share it.

- Marc

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Great job spotting those! They're probably vintage Bass Weejuns. One of our members on the Trad Forum posted a thread containing scans from a Bass catalogue from 1958. In addition to the expected leather-soled Weejuns, they also offered the same shoes but with crepe soles (below right).

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DD. Those may well have been crepe sole Weejuns. Funny, though, how the soles looked layered to me as if they were leather. I'll have to go back to that scene and take another look.

- Marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.