Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pair of BB Black Fleece spectators, and as indicated by the dust covers/packaging, they were made in England by Peal & Co. The original price was $800, but I paid a bit less.

I am not terribly familiar with Peal & Co., but the shoes appear very well made. For those who have owned Peal's shoes, how is the quality/construction and with which other RTW makers is Peal on par?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Although it used to be a middle-of-the-road English shoe maker, until BB bought the name. Am I correct?
I'm not sure how to define MOTR, but Peal was a quite reputable name in English shoemaking, with a bespoke tradition going back to 1802. (Apparently they made boots for the Duke of Wellington at some point.)

BB had long sold their RTW footwear through its stores, and bought the rights to the Peal name and trade dress back in the 60s when Peal went OOB.

On page 72 of Generations of Style is reproduced the note in which the Peal brothers conveyed their good wishes to BB on the occasion of the handover. It is dated 4 January 1965, and Peal's address is given as 48 Wigmore Street, London W1.

Today, the shoes sold as "Peal" appear to be made by several Northamptonshire makers, mainly Alfred Sargent (which is currently having troubles of its own).

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Odd, since the last time I asked who made their Black Fleece footwear they "weren't at liberty to say." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Odd, since the last time I asked who made their Black Fleece footwear they "weren't at liberty to say." :rolleyes:
I am not surprised at this at all. However, as others have posted here, it is not terribly difficult to ascertain the identity of the maker if one knows what to look for. The BF shoes are very, very nice. I have the longwings in both shell cordovan and pebble grain leather, and they are wonderful, heavy, substantial American shoes. Made by Alden for those who worry about this kind of thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
PEAL BRIEFCASE / LEATHER CARE Q

Gentlemen!

1. I recently redicovered a Peal briefcase I bought at BB around 94-96; does anyone have any idea who might have made it?

2. It's in great shape (never used), but I'm concerned about maintaining its condition while awaiting some occasion for its use. Does any one have any tips on this subject? Should I keep it full (say, stuffed with cloth - sort of like using shoe trees) and treat it with a leather conditioner every 6 months or so? Also, should I apply anything to the unlined portions of the interior or treat the exterior only?

Thank You,
The Captain

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Modernist said:
I've been hijacked by The Captain. :rolleyes:
Aaarrrr matey, stand by for boarding!

Seriously though, are the BB Peals good shoes? I really like the pebble-grain algonquin model and if BB carries them in the new Toronto store this fall I would like to buy them. I guess if Alfred Sargent or C&J make them, then they're a safe bet?

·
Registered
595 Posts
When Peal folded, Brooks Brothers purchased the lasts and designs of the shoes as well as the rights to their name. The different factories (Alden, AS, CJ, even Church's at one point) are really making the shoes to those specs.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Aaarrrr matey, stand by for boarding!

Seriously though, are the BB Peals good shoes? I really like the pebble-grain algonquin model and if BB carries them in the new Toronto store this fall I would like to buy them. I guess if Alfred Sargent or C&J make them, then they're a safe bet?
For years I held off on buying the BB Peal's. I would do internet searches and was unable to located this "Peal Co." This made me skeptical of the quality, although, I had seen them in the stores and they seemed substantial enough. That said, BB charges a pretty penny for the shoe. This year, I managed to get a good deal on two pair. I purchased the perf. cap toe and just last week--alerted by Upper Crust. Thanks! :icon_smile_wink:--I purchased the double monks. The cap toe are excellent. I think they are as good quality as Church's. When they are on sale they are an awesome deal. At $488, I think you can do better for the money, but on sale they are tough to beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am wearing my first pair of cap toe Peal's right now, and I have to say after 8 weeks, am not a fan of these shoes. Wore Church's Consuls for many years and thought highly of those shoes. After local store closed, switched to Alfred Sargent's, though I do not know what exact line of theirs (Church's store manager started out on his own and this is what he carried). Was generally happy with those shoes, but alas, he has now gone out of business as well. Thought I would try BB as it was my understanding that Peal's were also made by AS. Picked up my perforated cap toe bals on 26 Dec for $320, and another pair during a subsequent online sale for $199. Yes, the uppers are fully lined in leather (unlike Church's) and the shoes are generally well made. I do not know about the intricacies of sole construction, but these are the least comfortable shoes to walk in that I have ever owned. Absolutely no cushion or give; they might as well be made of plywood. I have not yet bought comfort insoles, but may just have to.

The regular price in the Scottsdale store was $549. If faced with having to pay full retail, I would definitely go over to C&J or Alden's. Even on sale, I might prefer AE.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I think you will find the Sargent you link to above and the Sargent that are made for Peal are quite different in terms of quality. The Sargent above are made to a much lower standard than the Peal.
I have both, and speaking as a wearer (I haven't cut the shoes apart or X-rayed them or anything like that), I can discern no difference.

What is your evidence for thinking they are made to different quality standards?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The full retail price for those Peals is rather daunting, I agree. To get them into Canada I would have to pay 31% for duty, plus whatever shipping & handling would be involved, and all of that after currency exchange minus 4 cents for the bank. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.